What are You Cooking the Week of October 6, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 6, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday dinner, I made Salmon and Couscous, using Penzey’s Mural of Flavor as the seasoning. We had peas on the side.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Pork roast and acorn squash stuffed with apple, walnuts and raisins.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

My husband had bacon and scrambled egg and I had chili.

chocomouse
          Participant

Tacos at our house tonight.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Dinner on Monday was a stir-fry using soba noodles, leftover rotisserie chicken, green onion, celery, carrots; red bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, broccoli, and a tiny snow pea—the last one from our garden this year.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had fried cubed steak,thickened potatoes and green beans.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm re-heating the chicken stock/broth since it's been in the fridge for a few days, then I'll strain it and get started on making chicken soup for tonight, probably with dumplings. I was able to skim the fat off, so aside from reheating it the stock should be ready for making soup once it's been strained.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had taco salad and I rolled mine up in a tortilla like a burrito.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I am trying to do a new recipe. Afghan pumpkin with tomato sauce and yogurt.
                      I've gotten the pumpkin cooked, it was a 4lb cheese pumpkin cut into cubes but I haven't made the accompaning tomato sauce or yogurt sauce.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12893-afghan-style-pumpkin-with-yogurt-sauce

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Let us know how the recipe turns out, Skeptic.

For lunch on Wednesday, I made lentil-vegetable-barley soup. I used water, left over from cooking potatoes, and frozen a couple of weeks ago. I used carrots, onion, celery, and garlic that I first sautéed in a bit of olive oil. I used 1 tsp. of Penzey’s Ozark blend to season. (I think that it came in a gift box, so I look for ways to use it.) I had some kale that I needed to use, so I cut up those leaves and added it about ten minutes from the end. It’s a delicious soup, although a bit salty, since I forgot that I had salted the potato water. If I’d remembered, I would have used a salt-free seasoning blend.

Wednesday night dinner is Spaghetti Squash-Turkey Casserole—a recipe that I discovered and adapted last year. Think of it as a kind of lasagna that uses spaghetti squash rather than noodles. I had to start early because I make my own sauce, although it is from canned tomatoes due to our disappointing tomato crop this year. Then the spaghetti squash must be roasted for an hour, cooled slightly, and scooped out. In the meantime, I brown ground turkey, and add some chopped onion, a bit more garlic, and optional red bell pepper (because I have it!), then mix in the sauce. I layer it in a lasagna pan, put 4 oz. of diced mozzarella on top, grate some Parmesan over it, then bake for 30 minutes. I try to keep my husband from cutting into it for a standing time of 20 minutes.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had baked pork tenderloin,potato salad and green butter beans.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Thursday afternoon, I’m making broth, using the remains of a turkey breast from the freezer and the rotisserie chicken we had last week. It will definitely be soup weather this weekend.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I fried a chicken breast,macaroni and tomatoes and garden pea salad.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I have a huge pot of tomato soup simmering on the stove. It's the Watts Tea Room Tomato Basil Cream Soup from jej on the obc, and my favorite tomato soup recipe. I don't have enough milk on hand, and we use only 2% anyway, so I'll substitute some 2% and Half and Half. I'll freeze the leftover soup for later. I'm thinking about making cornbread to go with it for dinner tonight.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

For dinner on Saturday, my husband cooked some boneless pork in a skillet on the stove. I roasted some cut-up sweet potatoes from the farmers market a couple of weeks ago, drizzling them with maple syrup halfway through. Next time I will cut the roasting time, since the sweet potatoes from the farmers market are more tender than what I find in the stores. We microwaved fresh broccoli as well. We ate dinner by candlelight on our enclosed porch while watching the moon rise. In the adjacent front room, we have a fire in the wood stove. Today is its first use of the season, a sign that fall has now arrived.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.