What are you Cooking the Week of October 25, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 25, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No plans here yet, we've been living off left overs for the past several days, may be time to actually cook something.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had hamburger steak and home cut fries.

BakerAunt
        Participant

We are also eating leftovers, in our case, from the maple-glazed pork tenderloin. I am roasting Queen squash every night to go with it. Last night we had the squash with a bit of maple syrup and maple sugar put on near the end of roasting, with leftover bulgur on the side. Tonight, I'll stuff the squash with the bulgur near the end of roasting.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm making chicken, mushrooms and rice casserole for supper tonight. Should give us a couple days of leftovers, too.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I threw a couple of NY strip steaks on the grill and had it with bow-tie pasta, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.

chocomouse
              Participant

Beans and hot dogs. No leftovers from this meal.

RiversideLen
                Participant

On Sunday I made pizza dough for two meals in my food processor. I have a 7 cup KA and making dough for 2 pizzas is about the limit. So I made a pizza with my home grown sweet peppers, thin sliced red onion, a little pepperoni and some thin sliced leftover steak. Came out pretty good. I took a pic of it with a Christmas beer for the beer site that I'm on, so I'll post it here too. As of Sunday, there were exactly 2 months to Christmas.

Christmas-Ale‑2

Attachments:
                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We got 3 inches of snow overnight, though by tomorrow much of it will have melted.

snow

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Italiancook
                    Participant

Len, the pizza looks delicious! Mike, the snow looks refreshing. I love snowy winters, except for the shoveling.

I made Boeuf Bourgignon (sp?) for tomorrow's dinner. My husband drank the wine for it, so I had to use an Italian dry wine substitute. I hope it turns out okay. The house smells delicious. I'm going to serve it with a salad and cauliflower rice from the freezer. But I've never before used cauliflower rice, so I don't know if that's a good idea, or if I should change to noodles. Any cauliflower rice users who can guide me?

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Your stew should be fine, just about any red wine works. I like to use a shiraz, an underappreciated wine. I always make spaetzle for it, Grizzlybiscuit's recipe is posted here, I believe.

Spaetzle is sometimes fried after it is cooked, but we seldom do that.

However, if you want really decadent spaetzle, make Julia Child's pearl onions braised in beef stock (the onions go in the stew) and fry the cooked spaetzle in the sauce from the onions.

I've never made the cauliflower rice, my wife isn't fond of cauliflower (and not all that fond of rice, either, she prefers noodles.) I may have to try it some time to see if she recognizes it as cauliflower.

I've seen it served on couscous.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Your dinner sounds delicious, Italian Cook. I would never have that issue with my husband, as he does not care for wine. However, he did consume all the raisins a few weeks back, thereby forcing me to substitute a dried fruit mixture in the granola.

On Monday, I made another batch of yogurt.

For Monday dinner, I made my Spaghetti Squash Casserole. Prior to making it, I also made the sauce for it from a bunch of our tomatoes that have ripened inside. We had it with microwaved frozen peas and Rosetta rolls. Between the cooking and the baking project, it was a long day in the kitchen, but we have leftovers for the next few days.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Len your pizza looks awesome,Mike I love the picture of the snow,our air is still going strong.I agree with BakerAunt your dinner sounds good Italian Cook.

Tonight I fried chicken tenders,rice and gravy and creamed corn.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I forgot to mention that I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes on Sunday. Plenty for a few lunches. The Beouf Bourgignon is for a few dinners, so I'll hopefully be set through Thursday.

I made my experimentation with Ranch Dressing tonight. For the second time, I used a friend's recipe and 3 ingredients from Chef John's recipe at allrecipes.com. I changed the quantities of some ingredients. When I give up on trying to come up with something I like as much as Hidden Valley Ranch, I'll take BakerAunt's advice and buy the buttermilk dressing packet from Penzey's. But I'm not there yet. I like the idea of having a reason to use ingredients I rarely use, such as garlic powder and tarragon.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Last night's dinner was chicken breasts with Greek seasoning, roasted squash, and broccoli. The broccoli is from the summer's garden - starting to use up foods in the freezer.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Thanks all.
                                  Isn't cauliflower rice simply shredded cauliflower and will taste like cauliflower? Cauliflower is somewhat mild in taste, so a gravy or a sauce over it will change up the taste some.
                                  Last night I made another pizza, the last one from this batch of dough. Had the leftovers cold for breakfast. That was good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.