What are you Cooking the Week of October 25, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 25, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I freeze cauliflower from our garden, but it always seems too "mushy" after I parboil it for freezing and then cook it in a recipe. So we don't really it much. However, I've found that I can shop it fine and add it to recipes that use ground beef, such as spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, etc. It does not add any flavor, and it takes on the color of any sauce, so it is well disguised. But it does add nutrients.

Speaking of nutrients, our meal tonight was short on nutrients, but not flavor! I made sort of Philly cheesesteaks, using thin sliced leftover strip steak, lots of sauteed onions, and sliced cheese, but in flour tortillas -- so "Philly quesedillas"! I think Provolone would be a tastier cheese, but I used what I had on hand.

Italiancook
      Participant

I used the wrong name for cauliflower rice. The package says, "Riced Cauliflower." After microwaving it, I put the veggie in a serving bowl. My husband didn't realize it wasn't rice! He had seconds and still didn't know what he was eating. When he opened the trash can after dinner, he saw the empty package. He commented that I had sure fooled him, and it didn't even taste like cauliflower.

As far as I know, he's never eaten cauliflower to know what it tastes like. For the most part, the riced version was bland, but I could occasionally detect a taste that I didn't associate with steamed cauliflower. But it wasn't off-putting. I have another package in the freezer. I'm going to use it under chop suey and see how that works.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

If you want to be true to the origins of the Philly cheese steak, you should use Cheese Whiz. Personally, I prefer other cheeses.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I roasted a pork chop and an acorn squash. Rounded it out with Brussels sprouts.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Len I like pizza for breakfast too!

Tonight I made cube steak with onion gravy,rice and garden pea salad.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I tried unmolding my chocolate covered cherries today, 18 of 28 came out of the mold more or less intact. Not a great average but probably not bad for my first try. (Most of us had trouble unmolding our chocolates in Chocolate School, too, I think because we overfilled them and the filling stuck to the mold.) But I haven't done much chocolate work lately and those are skills that need practice, I think my chocolate was properly tempered but not quite hot enough.

Now I need to wait a week or two to see how well the centers liquefy. (I made some with invertase in the fondant and some without, the latter should have more of a creamy center rather than a liquid one.)

The maraschino cherries I have (from Sams Club) are way too big for the mold, I wound up cutting them in half and even then they didn't fit well. I need to find some smaller cherries. I may try hand dipping some, then the mold size doesn't matter.

chocomouse
                Participant

I spent the morning making salads: a bean salad green beans, kidney beans, cauliflower, onions and green peppers marinated in a vinaigrette; a simple garden macaroni salad; and a chicken-grape salad. This was dinner on freezing, rainy night - and delicious.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Chocomouse your bean salad sounds so good,I love that.

Tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Joan, you've probably seen the recipe for "Three Bean Salad" from the 60s, which is the basis for my salad. I use whatever veggies I have on hand. The dressing is just oil, vinegar, and sugar. The key is to let it sit, stirring several times, for a good 24 hours before serving; otherwise, it's pretty bland.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Yep Chocomouse that's the one I know of 3 Bean Salad yours sounds better.

Tonight we had pan fried ham, scalloped potatoes and cooked carrots.

navlys
                        Participant

I made slow cooker shredded beef tacos with Carrot and Cabbage slaw. It was a CI recipe so you know there was a lot of labor involved. I was making it to share with a needy next door neighbor. Exhausted I packaged the meat, the sauce, the slaw, the feta cheese, the corn tortillas, and some mango slices for dessert. Upon eating it with my husband I thought something is missing. Yup I forgot the most important ingredients :cilantro and lime juice. Alas too late for my neighbor!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Unless your neighbor is one of the people who has the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. In that case, your forgetfulness is a win!

navlys
                            Participant

Never thought of that. Personally I love the stuff and just realized that if I put it in a glass in the refrigerator and top with a sandwich baggie it will keep for a long time. I also learned from Christopher Kimball that the stems can be frozen and used in soup and stews. Just a tidbit for all you cilantro lovers out there.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

We had taco salad tonight.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Tonight was Duchess soup with egg salad sandwiches.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.