What are You Cooking the Week of October 20, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 20, 2019?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Considering that the only difference in the two batches of chili is that one has two cans of black beans in it, the two have fairly different tastes. I'm not sure which one I prefer, I had two small bowls of both for supper.

RiversideLen
      Participant

I had a leftover pork chop. I made an apple stuffed acorn squash and scallop potato to have with it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have a black bean-ground turkey chili that is my favorite. It actually includes no tomatoes. I like kidney beans in my minestrone. The two have very different tastes. I'm not much of a fan of pinto beans. When I was making burritos, I used refried pinto beans. They were ok, but I prefer the other two beans. My husband, however, is not keen on any of these three beans, so I keep them for lunch meals for me. He will eat large lima beans, which is why that is on the menu for this evening,

skeptic7
          Participant

Has anyone tried pumpkin chili? I think I made it last year with 2 cups of pumpkin puree substituted for part of the diced tomatoes. I don't remember it as being bad or good. I like black beans in chili.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin in general, or most squash. I see white bean chili on menus all the time, but I've never made any. Lima beans aren't something we care for, either.

BakerAunt
              Participant

The large lima beans--that I'll be cooking this afternoon, and which have been soaking overnight--have a different taste from the frozen green lima beans. I'm making the "Tomato and Gigante Bean Bake/Pizza Beans" recipe from Smitten Kitchen Every Day. (It's also on Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen website.) According to her notes, these beans are called fagioli corona in Italy and gigante/gigandes in Greece. I use the Bob's Red Mill large lima beans (starting with 2 1/2 cups dry).

The recipe is supposed to be vegetarian, but the first time I made it, my husband said, "It would be good with some meat in it." So much for a meatless meal! I brown ground turkey and add it, and that works for him.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Grocery buying day today so I had oyster stew,easy.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight I made broccoli-cheddar soup, using the Panera Bread copy-cat recipe, which is my favorite. We had the leftover chicken-broccoli braid with it.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

We had leftover chili with the cinnamon rolls.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made a duck breast with spaetzle and Brussels sprouts and carrots. The duck breast gave up a fair amount of fat, with I saved. Although I did lose a lot of the fat filtering it.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

No cooking here tonight it's fend for yourself night I had bologna and tomato sandwich and pickles,husband had bologna sandwich and chicken noodle soup.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Skeptic--I haven't made pumpkin chili, but I did make a black bean and pumpkin soup last year from The Smitten Kitchen blog. I liked it, but the pumpkin does tend to disappear with the black beans and spices.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.