What are you cooking the week of November 25, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of November 25, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We're still in 'use up the leftovers' mode for another day or two here. What about you?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Although we still have leftover soup and some slices of turkey, for Sunday dinner I made acorn squash halves stuffed with a combination of bulgur, cooked ground turkey, mozzarella, sliced mushrooms, onion, parsley, and sage. We had steamed broccoli on the side.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
        chocomouse
        Participant

Oooh, those stuffed acorn squash halves sound really good. We're still eating leftovers, too. But I'm thinking it's time for a change, so maybe we'll just have good ole cheeseburgers in buns with chips and pickles tomorrow night! It all depends on the sleet and freezing rain forecast...

Joan Simpson
          Participant

After Thanksgiving I went for two days to my sister's home for a visit,we had a nice time.I took left overs and still have left overs but tonight we had just a fried egg sandwich and pumpkin pie.

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made a hamburger and stuffed butternut. I took the seed part of the butternut, scooped out the seeds of course, chopped up an apple, drizzled it with walnut oil, added some chopped walnuts, maple sugar and cinnamon and then stuffed the squash. The burger was from frozen and I put the burger and the squash on a rack in a quarter sheet pan and roasted them both at 400 degrees. To my surprise, they were both done at the same time.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight I made BBQ chicken in pot,had the gravy over rice and whole kernel corn.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Monday afternoon was devoted to cooking up a lot of the formerly green tomatoes that we picked before the first freeze. We cut the vine branches and left them attached, which seems to have helped the ripening. We’ve had them in the front room where they can get some sun, and where the woodstove keeps them reasonably warm during the day but not hot. I did have to cut out some bad places, and toss a few that were too far gone, but I was able to use close to four pounds, and we still have some to ripen.

I made the ones I cut up into sauce, by adding them to some onion and minced garlic sautéed in olive oil, then cooking them down. I used that sauce to make spaghetti sauce by adding some tomato paste, cooked ground turkey leftover from last night. I sautéed chopped celery, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in olive oil, then added those to the pot. I used 2 tsp. Penzey’s salt-free Tuscan Seasoning and simmered with a bay leaf. I did add 1 Tbs. of sugar, as these were not as sweet as the ones that mostly ripened on the vine. I added ¼ cup red wine in the last 40 minutes of cooking. I mixed it with 12 oz. whole wheat penne.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made a turkey breast today. I'll be having that the next several days.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had fried chicken,turnips and potato salad.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Tonight we had boneless skinless chicken thighs cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stove, with Greek seasoning. With it we had mashed potatoes, leftover garlicky green beans, and a green salad. Greek chicken thighs is one of my favorite meals!

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made stuffed red peppers, this time I added a half can of black beans to the filling, we both thought that was an improvement.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I have a small pot of vegetable beef soup with hamburger and fresh pimento cheese made for sandwiches,mmm good.This is soup weather.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Dinner tonight was a fish casserole, made with scallops, "chowder fish", shrimp, and a can of Campbell's cream of shrimp soup. We had it on brown rice, with cole slaw. There's enough leftover for another meal.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We had pizza for Wednesday dinner. I made my sourdough pizza crust, and I topped it with sliced tomatoes (yes, we still have some that have ripened inside), cooked ground turkey, sliced mushrooms, and mozzarella cut into small pieces and sprinkled on top. I also sprinkled it with Penzey's Tuscan Sunset (salt-free blend). I make it in a half-sheet pan.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We had fish for supper (orange roughy for my wife, salmon for me) with broccoli.

I've been making Christmas chocolates the last two days, I made some dark chocolate ones last night but the chocolate wasn't tempered right and 2/3 of them bloomed too much to use. I made a batch of milk chocolate ones this morning that came out nice and reprocessed the dark chocolate this evening, hopefully I got the tempering right this time.

Just some simple molded pieces: trees, santas, ornaments, teddy bears, snowflakes, stars, etc. We made up an Advent calendar for our granddaughter filled with some of them, and my wife is taking some to her office tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.