What are you Cooking the Week of November 13, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking โ€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 13, 2022?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had fried cubed pork, rice and gravy with cooked carrots.

BakerAunt
      Participant

We finished the turkey-spinach loaf. I roasted one of our honey-nut squash to go with it, and we had microwaved fresh broccoli as well.

chocomouse
        Participant

Pizza for dinner. Used up some of the VT Cheese Powder!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I got some nice hydroponic tomatoes at the hydroponic class open house today, so we had BLT's. Don't have the space and lighting to do something like that at home, though, some of those vines are 20 feet long.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight we had chargrilled chicken breast, baked sweet potato and green beans.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I envy you the great tomatoes, Mike.

For dinner on Friday, I made the Crispy Oven Fish and Chips again, which we had with the leftover dill tartar sauce and the coleslaw.

chocomouse
                Participant

Dinner tonight was venison liver, panfries, onions, and cole slaw.

There is a large hydroponic tomato farm a mile down the road from us. The tomatoes are beautiful and delicious! Almost as good as garden ripened tomatoes.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

A nearby hydroponics farm should be able to pick their tomatoes close to when they sell them, otherwise they have to pick them before they're fully ripe so they don't rot before they get to the markets. And post-picking ripening doesn't enhance flavor.

There are a half-dozen or so types of hydroponic systems, not all of them work well for tomatoes. You also need space to deal with vines that can easily get longer than 10 feet, and you need adequate lighting.

The determinate variety that Stacey grows in his lab are expensive, the seeds are $1 each!

Dinner tonight was left over pot roast.

navlys
                    Participant

A woman at our Wine Club made these steak rolls which were "delish"! Of course I requested her recipe. She basically cuts thin pieces of steak tops them with a semi cooked soft piece of bacon and a small slice of onion. She rolls them with a toothpick and broils them. The possibilities are endless. I made KA's cheesy pepperoni bites and maybe I baked them for too long because they were dry and tasteless.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I had to make a small grocery trip so we had taco salad my fast easy meal.

Also I found butter buy one get one free at Publix which was 6.39 for 2 pounds so I got 4 pounds.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Several stores have had butter on sale for $2.99 a pound here lately, so I'm stocked up for the holidays. And I have some rain checks for butter at under $2/pound at one store from last week.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Now is a great time to stock up on holiday food specials for later.

On Saturday, I cooked Skillet Chicken Thighs with Broccoli and Orzo, a recipe that appeared in The New York Times cooking section, and modified in line with reviews. I like this recipe a lot, but it does mean a major cleaning of the stove afterwards, as the grease splatters from cooking the chicken. We had a bit of leftover coleslaw on the side.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I'm waiting for the usual holiday baking goods sales - nothing here yet. On a good note: KABC has just announced a "retail store sale" of 15% off $60 or more! Almost all of their sales exclude retail store sales! I need to work on my gift list to see what I might want to buy.

Dinner tonight was tomato soup from the freezer, with blueberry muffins hot out of the oven. Tomorrow we are going to our son's home for Thanksgiving dinner; he is smoking a turkey. I'm really looking forward to this as their three children and significant others will be there also.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We had several left overs in the fridge, so of course we had Mac and Cheese for supper. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.