What are you Cooking the Week of May 9, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of May 9, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I don't run, but I sure am glad the Lincoln Marathon was a week ago, it rained most of the night and the temperature at 7AM was around 40.

If I've got or can find some veal, I'll make veal Zurich for supper tonight (a white wine cream sauce, with mushrooms.)

I don't understand why the grocery stores in Pittsburgh all have three or four cuts of veal and I'm lucky to find even ground veal in a state that is among the largest beef producing states in the USA.

Spread the word
      Janiebakes
      Participant

Yesterday I made cauldo gallego, a soup from the northwest corner of Spain. It used a broth made from ham hocks, cannellini beans, green beans, potatoes, carrots and cabbage. Will serve it with some cheese bread we picked up at a small French style bakery in Ohio's wine country. It was shaped like a cinnamon roll but filled with cheese. The middle popped up like a tower and let the cheese really brown. Good thing we had our outing yesterday. Today it is snowing. Not the latest snow we have ever had but pushing it. Hot soup and cheese bread will hit the spot.

BakerAunt
        Participant

For lunch on Sunday, I made Creamy Tomato Soup (do not recall where I found this recipe), using fire roasted crushed tomatoes, evaporated milk, and 1 cup of turkey stock. I seasoned it with Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset and ¼ tsp. of their roasted garlic. I had some with a bowl of popcorn—one of my favorite rainy-day lunches.

It rained most of the night here, and we are still getting some light rain. It was 37F this morning. We needed the rain, and it is perfect weather for being in the kitchen.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Dinner on Tuesday was salmon and couscous with Penzey’s Greek Seasoning, mixed greens salad with carrots; and microwaved fresh broccoli.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had bacon and eggs with Challah toast for supper tonight.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had chicken stir fry, with carrots, broccoli, sweet red pepper, and onions, on rice. An unexpected addition to the menu this week because the asparagus isn't quite tall enough for picking yet.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made chicken stock from some bones I had in the freezer, so dinner was chicken veg noodle soup with a hamburger.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I tried a new recipe for dinner on Wednesday, “Skillet Chicken Thighs with Broccoli and Orzo,” from The New York Times. I had read the comments, so I deleted the lemon, as many people said it overwhelmed the dish. I increased the recipe as I wanted to cook six rather than four chicken thighs. I ended up doubling the other ingredients, except for the broccoli, as I was 8 oz. short of what I would have used. I also followed the suggestion by commentators not to let it finish cooking covered on the stove but to put it uncovered in a 425F oven for 15 minutes. I used ½ tsp. dried thyme in place of 2 tsp. fresh. If I were to make it again, I would increase the dried thyme to 1 tsp. We like the recipe well enough that I will likely make it again. The downside is browning the chicken in the pan at the start, as that sends grease everywhere. I now need to clean the stove top.

Janiebakes
                    Participant

Dinner was the New York Times cheesy bean bake. It is one of their pantry staples done in 30 minute meals but it is much better when you take a little more time. Instead of canned beans I used dried that I cooked myself. Added onion, used a whole can of tomato paste instead on 2 tablespoons and added a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes. Added Better than Boullion chicken flavor to the hot water called for and used Italian seasoning. Used a blend of romano cheese and Jarlsburg that I grated fresh, mixing some into the beans and sprinkling the rest lightly over the top. Baked until hot and cheese melted.Most of these changes came from the reader comments. Served with a green salad. Every bit disappeared.

Italiancook
                      Participant

Yesterday, I made ranch dressing for lunchtime chef's salad today. Besides lettuce, the salad had mushrooms, grape tomatoes, avocado & green onion tops. I would have added shredded carrots, but it took 40 minutes, so I decided not to invest more time in it.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

I made a farro salad for dinner last night. Delish calls it their best-ever farro salad. It had crispy shallots and the old from those was used in the dressing. It's a very forgiving salad. I used fresh garden lettuce instead of arugula which has already gone by until the fall. It had fresh herbs - again from the garden, chopped nuts, fresh fruit (green apple this time) and cheese - I used the recommended parmesan. Will definitely make again with other ingredients. I have leftovers for tonight.

Janiebakes
                          Participant

Dinner tonight was courtesy of DH, spaghetti and marinara from a jar. I was busy today making yougurt and Mexican pickled vegetables. That didn't take too long but I am also digging through the closet in my sewing room.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I pulled a chicken stuffed pepper from the freezer and my last container of tomato sauce from last years garden. Had it with pasta, broccoli, cauliflower and carrot.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Friday. In a moment of absentmindedness, I used the Baker’s Special Dry Milk instead of the Bob’s Red Mill milk powder. I add the milk powder before I heat the milk. My first thought was that I would not be able to get it mixed in, but it whisked to a smooth consistency. When I heated the mixture, I noted that I did not have as much residue as usual sticking to the sides of the pan. The yogurt is now incubating. I hope that there will be no off taste when I eat a jar at breakfast tomorrow. I will add a note to this post tomorrow.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Our dinner was grilled chicken thighs with a home-made maple-bourbon basting sauce. Potato slices also cooked on the grill. A green salad with tomatoes, onions, sweet orange peppers with pomegranite balsamic. And asparagus picked just 20 minutes earlier in the garden! I tossed it with olive oil and sea salt, and roasted it in the Breville for 8 minutes at 375. I had been worried that the countertop oven wouldn't cook it as well as steaming it in the microwave - no more worries, it was perfect. I am now going to try to figure out how to cook it a little healthier, with no oil or salt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.