What are you Cooking the Week of May 30, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of May 30, 2021?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We had the last of the French onion soup that wasn't put in the freezer. I used challah as the bread in the first batch, this one used semolina bread, which is better because the challah is just a bit too sweet.

cwcdesign
      Participant

Last night we had a honey ginger ramen recipe with lots of veggies and leftover tempeh cubes that Will refried. We have found that we like tempeh better than tofu, but we're still trying with tofu. The tempeh has several other grains in it like millet which helps the flavor. The texture is better too.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks for explaining the difference between tofu and tempeh, Cwcdesign. I still haven't tried other, and I think that my husband is a hard no on both.

On Thursday, I made fish and chips for dinner, using the swai. I reduced the fish cooking tine to 18 minutes, and that kept it from being dry. I used some Greek yogurt mixed with dried dill and dashes of garlic powder and roasted onion powder as a condiment on my piece, which cut the catfish taste. We still have two more pieces in the freezer. We had it with a mixed greens salad with cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.

Janiebakes
          Participant

We had sheet pan roasted sweet potatoes with onion, fresh sage and smoked paprika, along with BBQ tritip. Bought the tritip from Aldi's for five dollars a pound already marinated. Will keep an eye out for a repeat of that sale.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had roast and gravy from the freezer,mashed potatoes and cooked carrots,jello using some fruit juice from canned peaches for part of the water.

BakerAunt
              Participant

It's always nice to have a major portion of the meal tucked away in the freezer, Joan.

Dinner on Friday was black-eyed peas, cooked with a ham hock, then combined with sauteed in olive oil chopped celery and garlic and brown rice, with parsley and freshly ground black pepper added at the end. We have enough for at least two more meals.

cwcdesign
                Participant

BakerAunt, the big difference between tofu and tempeh is that tempeh is fermented soy. Tempeh is available plain and with the added grains. The added grains add to the flavor as well as adding additional healthy grains, IMHO.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had Sloppy Joe's on bread.

BakerAunt I wish I had a freezer,I have only the one in the refrigerator so it's limited space.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I don't have a separate freezer either, Joan. However, we have two refrigerators, which means two freezer compartments. It comes in handy for freezing pumpkin puree, blueberries, an extra loaf or two of bread. It is a half hour drive to better grocery stores in the larger town northeast of us, so we shop every three or four weeks and stock up.

The refrigerator in the garage apt. also stores most of my wholegrain flours.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.