What are you Cooking the week of February 23, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of February 23, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Tonight we had chicken thighs marinated in Greek seasoning, smashed potatoes with the same Greek seasoning, and roasted squash bites. This is one of my favorites dinners.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

It is definitely time-consuming to make French onion soup from scratch, several hours for the stock, plus straining and chilling overnight to get the fat out, then another 6 hours or so to caramelize the onions. But it is really good.

So, of course with leftover potato leek soup and French onion soup in the fridge, we went out to eat tonight. 🙂

skeptic7
        Participant

I did a soup last Sunday which was very different from Mike's. It took much less effort and was only a single stage process. I cooked it in the slow cooker overnight. This was a lentil and vegetable soup based very loosely on Cook's Illustrated recipe.
          I wanted to try something a little different so I used parsnip and fennel as well as carrots and onions. I used Trader Joe's Tomato Sauce -- this was an accident I was looking for a can of salt free diced tomatoes, and I seasoned with a teaspoon of whole cumin and a teaspoon of whole coriander. This turned out thick and rich and tasty after being cooked overnight.
          By itself its a little too spicy but goes well with grilled cheese sandwiches.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight we had meatloaf,mashed potatoes and green butter beans.

chocomouse
            Participant

Skeptic, that soup sounds really nice! It's an interesting combination of flavors.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Onion soup again tonight.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Today we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.
                  This morning I made up dough for fried apple tarts or hand pies,I had two apples that needed using so I cooked up the apples with a little white and brown sugar,a teaspoon of lemon juice,cinnamon and a tab of butter and one small cup of applesauce that needed to go,this cooked down and was really watery so I added in a tbsp.of tapioca still not thick enough so I added in a tablespoon of corn starch mixed with enough water to stream in it thickened up well.Then I poured this mixture on a plate to cool quick in fridge while I rolled out the dough.I got 8 tarts and they fried up nicely.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

The apple had pies sound delicious, Joan.

Thursday’s dinner was stir-fry, made with leftover roast chicken (and a 6 oz. can of chicken), carrots, celery, red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, parsley, and soba noodles. There is enough for a re-run tomorrow night.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

After having had soups made with onions or leeks most of the week, and onion rings on Tuesday, we went with a milder dinner tonight, mac and cheese.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I roasted a nice salmon fillet yesterday that I got from Whole Foods. Had enough left for tonight.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had boneless chicken breast split marinated in Italian dressing,first I sliced an onion and sauteed it in a little butter and olive oil and I did as the question toady added in a pinch of baking soda,when they got to cooking I put a lid on it and when I checked again they were brown but like a gravy,no onion strings more like mush but very tasty,I then pushed them to the side and sauteed the chicken on both sides,with this we had thickened potatoes,garden peas and a green salad.It was good.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I had a bison burger.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I made chicken broth on Friday from the remains of the chicken I roasted earlier this week.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had cubed steak axis venison that our friend gave us,man that was the most tender steak from deer I've ever had,so good you could cut it with a fork.With that I cooked rice and gravy with creamed corn.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Saturday, I made another batch of yogurt. This time I used 900ml of milk, which should fill the jars evenly. I discovered that if, after heating the milk and holding it at 190F for 10 minutes on the stove, I pour it out into a large measuring cup (covered with a double-folded dishcloth, to cool, the pan in which I heated the milk is much easier to clean. The milk will also cool down to 112F more quickly.

For dinner on Saturday, I roasted chicken thighs, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Penzey’s poultry seasoning and sweet curry powder, on a rack in the main oven. I used my countertop, small convection oven to roast cut-up, unskinned red potatoes, tossed in olive oil, and sprinkled with a bit of salt and Penzey’s Bavarian seasoning. The Bavarian Seasoning was either a free sample or in a gift box I received, and I’m experimenting with the miscellaneous spices I have on hand,. We like it on the roasted potatoes, so I’ll be using it again.

By the way, Penzey's is having a 15% off sale with the code "Don't". I was low on some key spices, and I had a gift card, so I replenished those.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.