What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Whats cookin'?

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I fried french fries and we're having leftover chili with it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had roast beef sandwiches and some steamed broccoli.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, I roasted two chicken thighs (set on a rack so that the fat drips away). I also cooked some cracked freekeh in some turkey broth from the freezer, then mixed in roasted delicata squash cubes and sautéed mushrooms, with a bit of dried sage. We also had microwaved peas.

chocomouse
            Participant

Breakfast sausages with blueberry pancakes and maple syrup.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Freekeh sounds like one of those ingredients that should be in a Chopped episode (if it hasn't been already.) The biggest challenge might be getting it fully cooked in the 20-30 minutes they allow competitors, even finely cracked.

I'm not sure if I've seen it locally, Bob's Red Mill makes it, but they make a number of things that I can't find locally. (And I think they've discontinued a number of items recently.)

It is generally made from durum wheat, which may explain why it has a fairly low glycemic index, though harvesting it while it is still green might also affect the glycemic index.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Mike--I bought it from Bob's Red Mill last year, and we liked it so much that when I shopped their sale this year, I bought a case of four. It is added to boiling liquid, then simmers for 20 minutes, is removed from the heat and sits covered for 5 minutes. I did notice that the 16 oz. bag is now a 14 oz. bag. Sigh.

Yes, BRM has dropped some products. I miss their Ivory Wheat (white whole wheat flour), and I liked their unbleached cake flour, which was more reasonably priced than King Arthur's. They no longer carry wonderful dried cherries or dates. They had a greater variety of rye flours at one time, but now it is just the dark rye and no pumpernickel. I was sorry when I placed this order not to find the split yellow peas, which I use for my Swedish pea soup, which I'll have to make with green ones. They also no longer carry long grain brown rice, only medium. They had a blend of three rice varieties that we very much liked as well that is no longer available.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Check out the Azure Standard information I posted in another topic, they do carry split yellow peas, dried bing cherries and long grain brown rice, too.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a small pork roast, rice and canned baked beans, purple cauliflower. The problem with cauliflower is it seems to never get used up.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

My wife doesn't care for cauliflower, so we seldom buy it, but I do agree that a head of it is a lot to eat, especially for just one person.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

My husband does not care for cauliflower. I like it raw, particularly with a dip. I also like it cooked and pureed into a soup. Otherwise, I don't work with it in the kitchen. I've seen recipes for roasted cauliflower but have not tried it.

For lunch on Monday, I made a “leftovers” vegetarian chili, with a few non-leftovers. I started by sautéing chopped onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil, then adding two cloves garlic. I added 1 cup of turkey broth leftover from last night, about 1 ½ cups liquid leftover from cooking the lima beans last week, and 1 cup crushed tomatoes leftover from that pizza bean casserole. I added 15 oz. of black beans from the freezer, 1 heaping Tbs. tomato paste, ½ tsp. chili powder and a dash of cayenne and a dash of adobo seasoning. After cooking it for 30 minutes, I added the rest of a bag of Christmas pasta (durum wheat and semolina), brought to a boil, simmered five minutes, then let sit covered for another five minutes. I could go “wild” on this chili, as my husband would not be eating it. (He does not care for black beans, onions are giving him issues these days, and chili powder and cayenne are absolutely forbidden,) He happily ate his canned salmon sandwich, which he eats almost every day. I enjoyed my chili, which is perfect for a cold day in which we awoke to an inch of snow and already have a fire in the wood stove.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We used to make a curry dip that was very good with raw cauliflower, but then my wife decided curry was causing her problems, so we haven't made it in years.

My wife like a lot of lemon on steamed broccoli, I eat it plain, not even salted. But steamed cauliflower without cheese sauce seems pointless, and the cheese sauce probably cancels out the healthy benefits of cauliflower.

I'm not that fond of black beans by themselves, though I'll eat a little black bean soup when I make it for my wife. (Bean soups in general aren't my favorite soups, my mother made them frequently and cooked the beans until they were mush.)

But I did like the chili I made a few weeks back with black beans and I like the black bean meatloaf I make a lot.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Today we had taco salad,I had mine rolled in a flour tortilla.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Some of the Czech restaurants around here offer breaded and fried cauliflower. That is GOOD, especially with gravy. They serve it as a main course with the usual fixings.

Tonight will be leftover pork roast and pasta with some tomato sauce from my garden (from frozen). Oh, and some cauliflower.........

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Today was my wife's birthday, so we went out for supper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.