What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of December 15, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

Happy Birthday to your wife, Mike.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Happy Birthday to your wife Mike,hope she had a great day!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had a beef roast baked in roaster pan with potato,carrots and onions and enough leftover meat for another night,yay I love leftovers.Cook once eat twice.

chocomouse
          Participant

Happy Birthday to your wife, Mike!

I agree Joan - cook once, eat twice! But I still struggle with the cook once, eat twice, eat three times, and sometimes even eat four times! I often put some of it into the freezer, but usually recognize it if I pull it out for a fourth meal! Ugh.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We're on our third set of meals with the eye of round I roasted several days ago. I made some (instant) mashed potatoes and had a hot roast beef sandwich.

I worked on the gravy a bit, adding more water and butter, plus some salt, pepper, nutmeg and a pinch of rosemary Then I cooked it for several minutes to get rid of most of the vermouth taste. Much improved. (Julia Child used to say that you could fix almost any sauce with butter.)

BakerAunt
              Participant

Belated Birthday greetings to your wife, Mike.

I don't mind leftovers, even for a third or fourth day, although sometimes I will turn the leftovers into a different kind of meal, as when I make stir-fry with leftover meat, as I plan to do tomorrow. Not having to cook tonight meant that I had time to decorate the Christmas tree.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Repurposing leftovers usually starts to sound attractive around day 3. I may have a salad with ranch dressing and some cubes of roast beef tomorrow.

I've never tried making a stir fry with left over roast beef, I wonder how well it would work?

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Stir fry with leftover roast beef sounds great, have your beef cut to the size you want and have it ready, cook all your veggies first and toss in the beef at the last minute, you just want to warm it it a bit.

I made roasted pork chop, whipped sweet potato and steamed broccoli & carrot.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Leftover spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I made a stir-fry with soba noodles, using leftover pork that my husband cooked on Monday, along with what I deglazed from the pan. I included carrots, celery, a red bell pepper, some mushrooms, and broccoli. I think that the key to leftover meat in stir-fry is to try to have a bit of the pan drippings or a bit of what was deglazed after cooking the meat. About 2 Tbs. or so works well.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

What few dripping there were (you don't a lot from an eye of round after the fat's been trimmed off) I used for the gravy I made.

I do have some good beef stock in the freezer, I usually put some in a stir fry anyway.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Today I made hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and home cut french fries.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Sausage pizza for dinner!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Today we had oyster stew,needed something easy as I did grocery shopping at Target and Publix for Christmas.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Friday night dinner was Salmon and Couscous with Penzey’s Mural Seasoning, accompanied by microwaved peas.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.