What are you Cooking the Week of August 9, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of August 9, 2020?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No supper plans here yet, something that doesn't heat up the kitchen much, probably.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Something easy here too,hamburger steaks and french fries.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I bought some Genoa salami and a cantaloupe, so that's supper, along with some sweet corn and the peach tart that I posted in the baking thread.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Sunday dinner, I made Maple Glazed Pork Tenderloin (recipe from Cook’s Illustrated) and mashed potatoes, along with microwaved green beans fresh from our garden.

chocomouse
            Participant

We had chicken burgers, broccoli salad, and cukes.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Today we had taco salad and the apple cobbler for dessert.

chocomouse
                Participant

BLTs - the first 2 regular size tomatoes (Celebrity) from the garden, after 2 teeny 1.5" diameter tomatoes. So good. The lettuce is from my 3rd succession planting, the 4th planting is just sprouting now.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Today we had leftover pork tenderloin,creamed corn and Italian beans with diced potatoes.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I wanted to use up leftover mashed potatoes for lunch on Wednesday, so I looked for mashed potato patty recipes online and found this one:

I had to make some changes, as I only had 1 cup of mashed potato. I used an egg, used 1 Tbs. oat bran rather than flour, used less dried chives and onion powder (should have kept those two the same), some pre-grated mozzarella that I wanted to use up, and no bacon. I used my Zeroll #16 scoop (about ¼ cup). I flattened them into about 3-inch patties, then pressed them on both sides in Panko. That not only gave them crisp, it also kept them from burning and sticking. I used grape seed oil to cook them in a skillet. These were a little hard to keep together; I should have used additional oat bran, given that I was using half the potato and the full amount of egg. These were a little bland, so I would include more chive and onion powder next time.

S_Wirth
                      Participant

I have a posted recipe here for Potato Puffs...uses 1 cup mashed potatoes and bake in muffin pan. I like to add dried minced onion.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thank you, S. Wirth! I wish that I had known about your recipe first. I have copied it for the next time that I have leftover mashed potatoes.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I made Sloppy Joe's from scratch and burger buns,french fries for me and pork-n-beans for my husband.

S_Wirth
                            Participant

You're welcome, BakerAunt! That recipe is especially handy after large fall/winter meals, just do multiples.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I made tomato sauce on Wednesday afternoon to go on the pizza we had that evening. I used a bunch of tomatoes from our garden. I start with a 10-inch sauté pan, into which I put olive oil and diced garlic. I heat it slightly, then add the cut-up tomatoes. I cook, stirring as needed until much of the liquid has evaporated and the sauce is thick.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I made lima bean soup from leftovers.I cooked 3 chopped small carrots,one rib of celery and about a half cup of chopped onion with left over tomato gravy,a bouillon and some left over chicken stock till they were soft,then added leftover dry lima beans and leftover rice.Simmered for a little while was so good.Refrigerator is about cleaned out for another grocery shopping day .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.