What are you Baking the Week of September 19, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 19, 2021?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

I made my usual sandwich buns but today I added some ground flax seed to it. I hydrated a 1/4 cup of flax seed in an equal amount of water and added it. The buns baked up real nice but I won't know about the texture or taste until tomorrow as I have a bun left from last week to use for tonight's dinner.

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Wednesday. I baked maple granola. I also made dough for Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

chocomouse
        Participant

Today I baked two loaves of bread, a recipe I just made up as I went along, but pretty basic - 2 cups of whole wheat, 3 1/2 cups of AP, the usual remaining ingredients, plus a lot of garlic and herbs, some fresh and some dried. The first rise was great, and a little quick. Same for the second rise (in the Proof function of the Breville) so I aborted the rise and started baking it. The oven spring was tremendous - and the top of the loaves burned on the heating element. I already have the rack on the lowest level, so guess I'll need to cut back on the amount of flour. It smells delicious, but we haven't cut into it yet.

Italiancook
          Participant

Late afternoon, I made the dough for Angel Biscuits. I scraped it into my 4-quart dough bucket and put it in the refrigerator. I hope to turn all the dough into biscuits tomorrow, but if that doesn't happen, Friday will do. Recipe says dough can be refrigerated for 7 days.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I pulled out frozen pumpkin and baked 5 small loaves of my version of Whole Grain Pumpkin Bread, a recipe that Lemon Poppy posted on the Baking Circle, and which is now at Nebraska Kitchen. Three of the five are destined for the freezer. My husband is already anticipating slicing one for dessert tonight.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Friday, I baked my Lime-Pecan Biscotti using two limes from my lime tree.

I also baked Malted Whole Grain Rolls (KABC recipe), using a flower-shaped clay dish that holds seven large balls of dough, that I bought from KAF who at that time was advertising the pan with the recipe. It makes some wonderfully light, but substantial, large rolls. I replace a cup of the water with buttermilk, delete the whole grain improver, add 1/4 tsp. honey, and reduce the salt by a third. The recipe uses the malted wheat flakes that KABC sells as well as malted milk powder (Carnation).

Italiancook
                Participant

I had a pie crust in the pan, ready to go into the oven for blind baking. The electricity went off. The energy company's automated message warned of a long outage. I put the pan and crust into the freezer. Then, I regretted that move as it meant I'd let some of the cold air out of the freezer. Tomorrow, I'll bake a Lemon Meringue Pie. The last time I baked one was when Mike first started this site. At that time, I reported I found the task too onerous and would never again bake that type of pie. Things change, or I'm hungry for Lemon Meringue Pie. It'll be interesting to see how I feel about the task after it's done tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

A French meringue is fairly easy to make, but it weeps easily.

Some people think that an Italian meringue is the hardest to make, because you have to make the hot sugar syrup then pour it into the egg whites, but to me a Swiss meringue is the most work, because you have to cook it in a double boiler. (Maybe it's just that I've been making cooked sugar candies for so long that making a sugar syrup is easy for me.)

I've always admired those who can make lovely peaks of meringue, mine winds up looking like something made by two little kids playing in a bubble bath. I suppose I could pipe it on, but that's a lot of work, too.

For a while I was making a brown sugar French meringue, but we got tired of it, and it seemed to weep even more than one made with powdered sugar.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We ate the last of the Grape Nuts bread at lunch on Saturday. In the afternoon, I baked two loaves of Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat bread, which is a doubled recipe of Len’s Semolina Rye Rolls baked as two 8x4 loaves. I had to use mostly 1% milk, since I only had about 1/3 cup of buttermilk.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.