What are you Baking the Week of November 21, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 21, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

What are your Thanksgiving week baking plans? I will be starting another batch of hard rolls Tuesday evening and Wednesday I'll be making two pies, pecan and sweet potato. My wife plans to make a Germans Sweet Chocolate Cake on Wednesday, a friend of ours has his birthday on Thanksgiving. He recently lost his father, who had been in and out of the hospital for months.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

We are going to friends for Thanksgiving. im going to try my hand (bread machine) at making the cranberry-pumpkin rolls from KABC that were in last week's newsletter. Will is making pumpkin pie.

BakerAunt
        Participant

To go with soup on Sunday, I baked my complete re-imagining of KABC’s Dutch Oven Dinner Rolls, baked in my Emile Henry ceramic Dutch oven, and served warm with the soup.

This week's baking plans include a pumpkin pie and that Pumpkin Walnut Rye Bread from the Rye Baker blog.

As it is only my husband, me, and the dog, a single dessert will do, and that rye bread makes excellent sandwiches.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Oh, I should check how much rye bread I have in the freezer, I may need to make some of Reinhart's marbled rye bread, since I'm doing both a turkey and some (presliced) ham for Thanksgiving.

cwcdesign
            Participant
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Equal parts of AP flour, shortening and vegetable oil is the same recipe that King Arthur uses. This recipe has been around for a long time.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I use equal flour,oil and Crisco but I never have heated it only beat well with a mixer.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I do what Joan does--which is what S. Wirth told us to do. 🙂

I wanted to use up some Greek yogurt, so on Tuesday, I googled recipes and landed on Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake at the site Julia’s Album. She had adapted the recipe from Epicurious. I further adapted it by using white whole wheat flour, adding a tablespoon of Bob’s Red Mill milk powder, and respacing the 2 oz. of unsalted butter with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. I used frozen blueberries. The baking time was rather broad at 20-35 minutes. I baked for 25 minutes, checked, and the tester came out clean. My husband brightened when he came back from working in the woods and saw a blueberry dessert. We each had a slice for dessert. It is a light cake with just the hint of vanilla, and the blueberries are the star.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I'll have to try that recipe, BakerAunt. I sub Greek yogurt for sour cream in almost all of my recipes (muffins, coffeecake, sweet breads, etc) and so far it has worked fine.

Italiancook
                      Participant

We're not doing much for Thanksgiving, so I haven't worked on the scrumptious tasks some of you have enjoyed. One day I made my grandmother's chocolate cake. I haven't unpacked my new hand mixer yet, so I couldn't make the cooked frosting. I settled on a confectioners sugar frosting from jennycancook.com. I think it's her 2-minute vanilla frosting, but I'm unsure. It's very good, and I discovered it's better if it sets on the cake an hour or two before eating. Another day, I made Jenny's Blueberry Coffee Cake for breakfast. It's an oil recipe; I really like the quantity of oil recipes on her site.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I'm making Reinhart's marbled rye bread (from BBA) today, just so I have fresh rye bread to go with ham and leftover turkey over the weekend.

However, King Arthur has discontinued their powdered caramel color. I can order it from the Great American Spice company, but shipping is almost as much as the product, so I'll probably wait until I have a few other things I need to order from them.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Chocomouse--If you bake the Blueberry Greek Yogurt cake and substitute oil as I did, I suggest using the method of combining the flour, etc. in a small bowl and beating the sugar and other ingredients in a larger mixing bow. I did it with a whisk. Then stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, being careful not to overmix. That will keep the oil cake from being tough.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Now an article on baking supply shortages (from a commercial point of view) but it trickles down

https://wapo.st/3nNWUBn

chocomouse
                              Participant

Kudos to BakerAunt for even trying that blueberry cake recipe!! I've changed my mind after reading the comments; I'm not going to try that recipe, at least not for a while. It appears that the results are very inconsistent, and there are lots of questions/comment about possibly ingredients "missing" from the list. Maybe another time when I'm feeling more adventurous...

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Thanks for posting the link, CWCdesign. The problem of supply and shortage is complex.

The explanation on graham cracker shortage surprised me because most graham crackers are NOT made with real graham flour but with white flour. Graham flour is much harder to find these days. Bob's Red Mill stopped selling it a couple of years ago. I still have some in the freezer. I've tried baking my own graham crackers but have yet to find a recipe that has the taste I want AND does not require butter. I tried one by Peter Reinhart, but it was not what I sought.

As for soybean oil in crusts--that's the difference between a homemade and a commercial (need to be financially viable) graham cracker crust. Most homemade ones use butter. I made a great one this past year using olive oil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.