What are you Baking the Week of November 13, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of November 13, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We were out of bread, so I baked two loaves of that great Semolina Rye Bread recipe that Len posted at Nebraska Kitchen. That's one loaf to begin eating tomorrow and one for the freezer.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm just about out of semolina bread here, so that'll probably be tomorrow's baking.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I made a coffee cake from box cake mix that my mom use to make called a "Sock-it-to-me cake" and it turned out well so that'll be our snack for a while. It's a bundt cake with a layer of streusel in the middle and drizzled with icing.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Making semolina bread here today. (Hamelman's recipe, with a minor tweak in the ratio of bread flour to semolina flour.)

BakerAunt
              Participant

I tried a new recipe at breakfast this morning: "Oatmeal-Buttermilk Pancakes," from the Tres Joli Bakery Café in Oakton, Virginia. It appeared as a recipe request in the August 1999 issue of Bon Appetit (p. 30). I found it in my pile of to-try recipes. I halved it and reduced the salt by half more. The pancakes are mostly old-fashioned oats, with a ratio of 1 cup to ¼ cup AP flour. I replaced 2 Tbs. butter with avocado oil, and I used avocado oil on the pan. I let the batter rest for two hours, then cooked about 2/3 of it. They are fragile, although I managed to get them turned and onto the plate in one piece. (That may also be a problem with my old non-stick griddle, which has build-up I cannot clean off of it, and probably needs to be replaced.) The recipe says that the batter can be prepared a day in advance, so I will see how the remaining batter cooks tomorrow, when I will use a better non-stick skillet. The recipe says these are served with lingonberry preserves, or with blueberries and whipped cream, which is likely why the batter contains vanilla. I used s bit of maple syrup and might omit the vanilla next time. I'm not sure that I will make the recipe again; it depends on the texture and taste when I cook the rest tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I may make honey wheat bread this week, haven't made it in a while and none in freezer.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made Len's semolina- rye. I shaped it into a dozen buns to have with soups this winter, and one nice loaf of bread.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm making honey wheat, it had been so long since I made it I actually had to look at the recipe.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thursday evening, I baked Scottish Oatcakes. I wanted to make sure to have something to have with my afternoon tea. We had three inches of snow overnight, our first significant snow of the season.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

On Friday, I baked the Ginger Pumpkin Braid recipe from King Arthur. I use my own pumpkin puree (from last year's peanut pumpkin), so I find that I need to increase the flour, and I like to use more whole grain, so instead of 4 ½ cups bread flour, I used 2 ½ cups white whole wheat, 2 cups bread flour, then ended up adding ½ cup whole wheat flour and about an additional 1/3 cup bread flour. I also add 1/3 cup special dry milk and ¼ cup flax meal. I replace 4 Tbs. melted butter with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. I increase the candied ginger from 1/3 to ½ cup, and I use golden raisins. I cut the salt from 1 ½ tsp. to 1 ¼ tsp. I use my own mix of spices instead of a pumpkin pie blend: 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon, ½ tsp. ginger, and ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg. The bread machine can just handle that amount of dough. I did the best six-braid bread that I have ever done. It is cooling, and I am looking forward to slicing it at breakfast tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

It appears to me that there are at least 5 different types of six-strand braids, and that doesn't count the one from Deli Man that has us baffled.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I did the 6-strand braid following King Arthur's directions. I bought a baking mat they had which has the directions written down on the right side. It also has directions for another kind of bread with the filling in the center and cut strips folded over from each side.

When I cut the bread yesterday, I thought it was a bit dry, but that is not the case with the two slices I cut on Sunday.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

Lot's of bread making last week. Violet and I also made pie dough and I'll roll out the crusts and blind bake on Monday.

I'm making my sourdough and still not happy with my shaping but it is improving.

I've also started making challah again. I am trying four strand braids and finally had one this week that was not a mess. It's still not to my liking as I like smaller ends and a plumper middle but at least it was not a total mess.

challah-2-raw-small-11182022

challah-2-raw-small-11182022

Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I haven't done any braided loaves for a while, it is a skill that benefits from regular practice.

I could always make Thomas Keller's dead dough for practice, he says it is usually good for about a week if kept in the fridge between practice sessions.

500 grams AP flour
                                  1 gram yeast
                                  25 grams salt
                                  325 grams water

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.