What are you Baking the Week of May 8, 2022?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of May 8, 2022?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy Mother's Day, anything in the oven?

Spread the word
      ancameni
      Participant

Today I made Black and White Cookies. I also have been craving sugar cookies and found a chai tea cookie recipe in my collection that I have been itching to do now.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Cookies are one of the great delights of life, Ancameni.

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Monday.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Wednesday evening, I used the King Arthur recipe for Cranberry Orange Rolls to make Blueberry Rolls using some pie filling I made last summer and froze for this purpose. For the recipe itself, I use half whole wheat and half AP flour, replace the 2/3 cup water with 3/4 cup buttermilk, replace the 1/4 cup orange juice with the same amount of water and increase the sugar to 1/4 cup. I do not use the Fiori di Sicilia, and I reduce the salt by a third. I add 1 Tbs. flax meal and replace the 1/4 cup butter with 2 1/2 Tbs. olive oil. I have put the rolls in the refrigerator to rise overnight so that I can bake them in the morning. I plan to make a lemon frosting.

Note on Thursday morning: Delicious! I still need to tweak the filling a bit.

chocomouse
            Participant

I'm thinking about using this recipe for Rhubarb Rolls. My husband is begging for rhubarb something. I usually make the Rhubarb Rolls recipe posted by CWalde on the old baking circle, which does take a leap of faith! But turns out great. It uses baking powder, not yeast. It is posted here, just search for "rhubarb".

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I will need to make semolina bread soon, but I think I'll wait a day, it is supposed to be in the 90's again today but the low 80's tomorrow.

chocomouse
                Participant

Today I made Harvest Grain loaves. It is 91* here, perhaps a first for Vermont in May! But humidity is only 24%, so it quite comfortable. In July and August, when it does get into the 90s, the humidity is usually 80-90%.

I need to use up some of my semolina, too. And today I spent my KABC Reward dollars on Medium Rye and more Harvest Grains, so it's time to make more rye bread and let the pumpernickel flour rest in the pantry for a while. Funny how you can get in a rut and so easily keep making the same favorites over and over again, ignoring all the other great tasting breads.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I baked buttermilk biscuits today.I haven't been in a baking mood either.

ancameni
                    Participant

I did make those chai tea cookies and they were amazing

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I baked cornbread on Thursday to go with leftover pea soup. Temperatures were in the mid-80s but with a cool breeze off the lake, the house stayed relatively cool. I baked the cornbread in my countertop convection oven to avoid heating up the house.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I don't do a lot of experimental baking in hot weather. I didn't do a lot of it this past winter, either, when hot weather wasn't my excuse. ๐Ÿ™‚

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Ancameni--your cookies sound perfect for a tea party!

On Friday I baked the Greek Yogurt Olive Oil brownies from The Mediterranean Diet for Beginners, using my tweaks of double dutched cocoa, white whole wheat flour, and espresso powder. Temperatures still went into the upper 80s today, so I used the small convection oven to bake the brownies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.