What are you Baking the week of May 26, 2019

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of May 26, 2019

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for a week's worth of baking. I'll be doing a batch of popovers for lunch today. My wife decided not to do her annual Memorial Day garage sale, but then a friend asked if she could use our garage for a one-day Tupperware sale. So it seems like normal on Memorial Day Sunday here. 🙂

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

Today I made a chocolate layer cake, with raspberry jam between the layers and chocolate ganache icing. It's very good. I make cake about twice a year, and usually it's for a fresh fruit trifle. But my husband asked for a chocolate cake!

BakerAunt
        Participant

For Monday's holiday breakfast, I made Wholegrain Cornmeal Pancakes--a recipe from Bob's Red Mill that uses their coarse ground cornmeal. I reduce the baking powder by 1/2 tsp. and the salt by half. My other change is to use white whole wheat flour rather than AP flour. I tried baking the extra batter in my KAF bun pan (which I do not use for buns these days), but it stuck on the bottom, and I had to scrape them out. I should have used the grease. Also, perhaps 375F was too hot and I should have used 350F. I baked for 10 minutes.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I baked 2 loaves of sourdough today to take to my sister,I'll be visiting for a few days with her.I won't be back on here for a few but I'll catch up when I'm back.

Chocomouse enjoy your time away.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial day and remembered those who gave their lives so we can be free.I'm blessed our son was in Marines and came home...so many didn't.

RiversideLen
            Participant

First I made a batch of my sandwich/burger buns. Then I made "one bowl lemon brownies" from Jennie Jones (recipe and video is available on youtube). I made a couple of changes. First, I used limes as that is what I had on hand. The recipe calls for a cup of AP flour, I used 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup of white whole wheat. Also reduced the sugar from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup. I found that to be plenty since it calls for a glaze. Not sure they should be called "brownies" but it came out pretty good and I'll make it again.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

I made dozens of cupcakes for a graduation party at my cousins'. I made a white velvet cake from the Cake Bible and a chocolate fudge cake from a Rosie's cookbook. The fudge cake is my favorite cake and the white velvet is my family's.

My wife made the frosting and decorated them.

I tried something new with the fudge cake and added three tablespoons of flour and they had a nice cupcake bump that they do not usually have when I follow a cake recipe. That may also be because I have not been filling the paper cups enough. I'll need to experiment more.

The white velvet cake calls for four and a half egg whites (which is stupid - but it also has a weight measure). I always looked for things to do with the egg yolks and noticed (after MANY years and MANY white velvet cakes) that the recipe immediately preceding it calls for five or six yolks! Problem solved but that also means A TON of cake even for a family of five with two teenage boy which makes us consume food like a family of ten.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Aaron--I'm sure your boys are equal to the task!

On Monday afternoon, I baked my version of Ellen’s buns. I always think of Mrs. Cindy when I bake this recipe, as she encouraged me to try it. I am working to bake buns that are at least 50% whole grain, but I know from experience that too much whole wheat takes over the flavor. So, this time I used 1 ¾ C. KAF AP flour; 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat, and ½ cup white whole wheat flour. I also added 3 Tbs. flax meal and 2 Tbs. special dried milk. As usual, I used just 2 tsp. yeast, replaced the sugar with 2 Tbs. honey, and replaced ¾ cup of the liquid with buttermilk. I replaced the butter with not quite 2 Tbs. of canola oil, and I cut the salt to ¾ tsp.

While the bun dough was rising, I baked the Apricot Oatmeal Bar recipe to which S. Wirth called our attention a few days ago. However, I substituted white whole wheat flour for the AP flour, and I used 10 oz. of the black raspberry jam I made last summer. My husband and I loved them, and this recipe will go into my permanent repertoire, especially as it is low in saturated fat.

skeptic7
                  Participant

On Tuesday it was very hot here, Washington DC area, I made orange-cranberry quick bread and cooked it in the slow cooker about 2 1/2 hours. It was about 195 degrees and thoroughly cooked when I took it out.
                    The texture and height were okay, a little moister than baking in the oven.
                    I also baked a cheese pizza at 10:00 at night -- it was still rather hot but I really wanted to eat the pizza. I had mozzarella and provolone on the pizza.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I Thursday afternoon, I baked Maple Granola. I had seen the recipe in the KAF Whole Grain baking book, but I also checked online, and I prefer that variation of the recipe, which reduces the oil to 1/2 cup and adds 1/2 cup of powdered milk:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/vermont-maple-granola-recipe

My changes were to use Bob's Red Mill powdered milk rather than KAF's special dried milk, which I will save for baking where it is needed. I used the BRM powdered milk because it is a fine powder. Probably it would be ok to grind one of the granular powdered milks, then measure, if that is what is on hand. I deleted the salt, since I was using coconut which has plenty. Although I've been cutting the coconut in most of my granola recipes due to the saturated fat, since this is a large recipe, and I have large flaked coconut to use up, I added the full amount. I also deleted the vanilla because if I'm using my precious dark maple syrup, I'm not about to confuse the taste with vanilla! I chose to add 1 1/2 cups of raisins.

I may have baked it slightly long. My pans did not allow it to spread out as much as I would have liked, but they fit into the oven I'm currently using. Somewhere I have a large pan and next time will likely use it. I had some for breakfast this morning, and the granola has a good taste. I think that it would be a good breakfast food for traveling when we don't want to resort to instant oatmeal packets (which even unsweetened don't have what I consider a pleasant consistency). Lately my husband has been eating the granola for snacks, so I hope the 15 cups I made will last for a couple weeks.

skeptic7
                      Participant

The Granola looks great! I used to do granola, but I haven't for a long time. this tempts me to start again. I used to do mine in the crockpot.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I baked a new recipe Friday afternoon: “Mini Apple Bundt Cakes [with Mascarpone Bourbon Cream]” attributed to Brook Jackson in 2015. I had printed it, but did not write down the source, and I have been unable to locate the recipe online. My printed version has the misspelling “Marscapone,” but the recipe does not come up either way. I put the last part of the title in brackets because I am not going to make the Mascarpone Bourbon Cream.

It was supposed to make six mini-Bundt cakes and two cupcakes, but there was at least another two cups of batter, so after filling my 6-cup mini-Bundt pan (after rooting through the storage shed and finding it), I also prepared two freestanding little Bundt pans I picked up once upon a time at T.J. Maxx. I still had batter left, so I grabbed a mini-loaf pan and put the rest in it.

I think this recipe would work for a 9-10 cup Bundt pan. I made some changes: I replaced olive oil with canola and reduced the amount from ¾ to ½ cup, then added ¼ cup buttermilk. I reduced the sugar from 2 to 1 ¾ cups. I replaced half the AP flour with a cup of white whole wheat flour, and I added 2 Tbs. BRM powdered milk and 1 Tbs. flax meal. I probably used closer to 3 ½ cups grated apple (Jonathans) rather than 3 cups. I used THE Grease to prepare the pans.

The little cakes are cooling, and we will have some for dessert. With my changes, I can claim the recipe as my own, but I will wait to post it until I’ve made it again and have a better sense of which pan would work best.

Note: The cake has great texture and taste. It's a keeper for next apple season--or maybe to use up the remaining four or five in the refrigerator.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          rottiedogs
                          Participant

BakerAunt - I found your recipe. I found the link on pinterest but the page didn't exist anymore. But the wayback machine had it so I was able to dig up the original post. Zester Daily was the site but I don't think it is active anymore The misspelling was the key to finding it on pinterest. It's too bad the site is no longer functioning. It looks interesting!

http://web.archive.org/web/20170214173645/http://zesterdaily.com/desserts-wrecipe/go-seasonal-4-refreshing-thanksgiving-desserts/

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thank you, Rottiedogs! Zester was a great site, and I was sorry to see it disappear. After seeing great sites disappear, I do a lot of printing of recipes.

There are some other recipes in the link Rottiedogs posted, which also look good, so I encourage people to look at all of them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.