What are You Baking the Week of March 5, 2017?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 5, 2017?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I will not be baking until tomorrow, as I have student papers to review. However, for those of you with time and energy today, I'm starting the baking thread.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Last week was challah and this week hamentashen. I baked a batch Saturday to have on hand for the kids to sample. Then I made and cutout two batches of dough with the older kids filled and folded.

After they baked and cooled the younger kids packed the hamentashen in bags which were part of baskets to be given to home-bound members of the congregation. We made 120 cookies with either strawberry or raspberry jam.

Then last night I made pizza. We had two cheese, one olive, and one red onion and cauliflower. The cauliflower was leftover in the refrigerator and I wanted to use it up before it went bad. Not sure if pizza counts as cooking or baking... I could go either way. Although with all the discussions we've had we could probably add a pizza forum and have "What kind of pizza are you making this week?" ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making a loaf of bread today, the Austrian Malt recipe but with 50% semolina flour. I haven't decided yet if I'm baking it free-form or in a loaf pan, probably the latter.

Italiancook
          Participant

Aaron, I think your work with the kids and for the home-bound folks is fantastic. It's nice to know you're caring for the future of our nation and for those who have already served society. Too often, in my opinion, people who are home-bound become lost in the hustle and bustle of others' lives.

Today, I made Oatmeal Raisin cookies from the lid of a Quaker Oats box.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Italiancook.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Well, substituting 50% semolina for the flour in the Austrian Malt recipe was not very successful. The bread didn't rise as much as I would have liked and it is way too sweet. It is OK as a savory sandwich bread. like with roast beef, but I won't make it again.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Tuesday, I baked Orange-Barley Pound Cake. I posted the recipe on this site last year, after Kid Pizza kindly corrected the original recipe. I've now baked it three times. My husband and I really like it. I also mixed up the dough for a double batch of Sourdough-Cheddar Crackers, which I will bake later this week to take on our trip.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Wednesday, I baked the lemon cake from Susan Purdy's The Perfect Cake and assembled it that evening--with lemon curd between two layers. I take it to the office tomorrow for a birthday celebration. I used Hudson Mill bleached flour this time, and the cake seems to have baked far better. (Thank you, Cass!).

I also tried the Lemon Drops recipe from Peter Reinhart & Denene Wallace's The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking, because one of the two staff members having a birthday has some kind of gluten intolerance. I tasted them-YUK. My husband agreed. There is a weird aftertaste. Maybe it's the Stevia in the Raw. I threw them in the trash--which is a sad waste of ingredients not to mention time. It's the first recipe I've tried from that book. I'm not sure if I will try another.

I also baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread, which is my husband's favorite.-

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                  cwcdesign
                  Participant

I put my comments about the Gooey Caramel Stuffed Brownies in the Cookie Ideas thread by mistake. Since there were already "likes" attached I didn't want to move it here. But anyway that's what I've baked (so far) this week

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

So far this week I've made the Oatmeal coconut cookies from RiversideLen and they are great.Stayed chewy and soft. I made the Lil Chocolate cake from Just a pinch and it's one of our favorites.It is an easy cake and only uses a whisk to stir up.It makes an 8 inch pan perfectly and never domes up so it always looks perfectly flat when frosted.This cake makes one layer and sometimes I double it very chocolatey.It calls for a cup of hot water but I always use hot black coffee and it just boosts the chocolate flavor.I always frost with chocolate icing and sometimes when making two layers I put white buttercream in middle and chocolate on outside.
                      Lil Chocolate Cake By Cass (giving credit to her from Just A pinch)
                      1-cup a.p.flour
                      1-cup sugar
                      1-cup hot water(I use hot black coffee)
                      1/2-cup baking cocoa Hershey's I like the special dark either works
                      1-tsp.baking powder
                      1-tsp.baking soda
                      1-egg
                      1/4-cup melted butter

1.Preheat oven 350* grease an 8 inch baking pan.
                      2.In medium bowl combine 1st six ingredients.
                      3.Add egg and butter mix well.I only use whisk no mixer needed.Mixture will be very thin.
                      Pour in pan bake @-350* for 30-35 minutes till done can use toothpick test.
                      This cake is so easy. I had forgot the egg one time,put cake in oven turned around and said oh sh--.Pulled it out greased other pan stirred egg and mix back together and all was well lol
                      Cassie said she dusted top with powder sugar but we like icing.

That's all I've done so far.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Joan Simpson.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

That recipe looks great, Joan. Thanks for posting it.

On Thursday, I made a batch of Chex Party Mix and a batch of my variation of Nutritious Pop 'N Fresh Cookies. That recipe comes from a Pillsbury Booklet, #30 that came out years ago. I've been experimenting with the recipe over the years. This time instead of 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal Flour, I used 1 1/2 cups Gold Medal and 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour. I also added 1/4 cup flax meal. I used pecans and chocolate chips. Tomorrow, my younger stepson is going to help us load a rental truck, so I need snacks on hand, and we will also take them on our trip.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

On Wednesday I baked a half dozen sandwich buns. Thursday I made Oatmeal fruit bars. The Oat fruit bars were on the Quaker Oatmeal box years ago but isn't on there now. It's low fat that uses yogurt, a touch of veg oil, a little flour, oats and dried fruit. The recipe calls for granulated and brown sugars but I use maple syrup in it's place. They make a great snack or breakfast.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Riverside Len--I'm going to have to try your Oat Fruit bars. I particularly like your reduction of the sugar.

On Saturday, I baked a double batch of my version of Ellen's (Moomie's) buns as rolls. I also baked Eggnog Scones (had some frozen eggnog), and I baked the double batch of Sourdough Cheddar Crackers. All of these are for our spring break trip.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.