What are you Baking the Week of June 26, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 26, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking plans here yet. It's a nice day, though, high expected of about 79, maybe I'll think of something to do.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

We had a high of 79 today, so it was a good day for baking here.

A friend gifted me a subscription to Cook's Country. When I saw the recipe for Asparagus, Leek, and Goat Cheese Quiche in the April/May 2022 issue, I was excited for asparagus season. I was able to buy asparagus at the farmers' market a week ago, and on Sunday, I finally had time to make it.

I made some changes. I used my oil-buttermilk crust. I substituted two diced shallots for the leek, as I do not have access to leeks. I used avocado oil rather than butter to sauté the shallots and asparagus, and I added the minced garlic to that mixture at the very end. (For some reason, the original recipe has the minced garlic being added in the egg-milk mixture, which seems wrong to me.) I omitted the teaspoon of lemon zest, as I did not want to open a lemon. I cut the salt by a third and used a bit less pepper, as mine is freshly ground. I replaced the 3/4 cup heavy cream with an equal amount of 2% evaporated milk. For the pie plate, I chose one of my 9-inch Emile Henry ceramic pie plates. As always, I baked the "pie" on the round, with hole in the center, pie sheet that was here when we bought the house. The quiche was done in 40 minutes. My changes drastically reduced the saturated fat. It is cooling now, but I will add a note to this post after I have some for dinner tonight.

Added Note: The quiche is excellent. I will be typing up this recipe with my changes.

I also baked two loaves of my Whole Wheat Grape Nuts Bread, and I managed to time it so that there was only a five-minute gap between when the quiche came out and the loaves went in. Originally, I had planned to bake a different bread with a recipe that makes three loaves, but I realized that I did not have enough buttermilk to do so. My husband is happy to have his favorite bread.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Monday, I baked Maple Granola, using the King Arthur recipe with my personal variations.

I also baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I made up last week.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I made the Kansas Sunflower Bread recipe on KAF. It rose so high it hit the top of my countertop oven! It's loaded with sunflower seeds, bulger wheat, and rolled oats, so I assume it will have great flavor although we have not cut into it yet.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I am making Reinhart's Marbled Rye Bread today, to have with the Montreal Smoked Meat on Wednesday. I'm making two fairly large loaves rather than the usual 3 smaller ones, because I want a two-fisted sandwich.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Tuesday is still cool enough for some baking. I experimented with adapting a recipe, "Bob's Delicious Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies" (from Bob's Red Mill), by using oil rather than butter. I replaced the stick of butter with 1/4 cup canola oil and adding buttermilk to bring it to 1/3 cup. I slightly reduced the brown sugar to 2/3 cup, cut the salt in half, and used white whole wheat flour. I used a scant 1/3 cup of chocolate chips (45 g). I used a #30 cookie scoop and got 13 cookies. I baked at 350F rather than 375F because I thought oil-based would bake better at the lower temperature. and baked for 14 minutes, turning halfway. The cookies spread in the oven, some connecting with others, but I was able to separate them while hot on the pan. The taste is excellent. Next time, I might increase the muesli to 1 ½ cup to get less spread. These cookies would also be good without the chocolate chips, which I reduced from 1 cup. I rarely use them in cookies anymore, but I wanted to give my husband a special treat.

On Tuesday, I also baked my Rye-Barley Crispbread topped with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds. This crispbread is my favorite savory snack.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I had some apples I had cooked to keep from throwing them away,added some sugar,butter and cinnamon.They weren't getting ate so I had one pie crust in freezer I cut that in fourths and made 4 apple turnovers,rolled the dough saucer size dolloped on apples then folded over and crimped edges with a fork,brushed with milk and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon-baked at 375 for 25 minutes and they are really good and was easy too.I had one when they cooled will have another tonight.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

On Sunday I made Mrs. Cindy’s Irish Oatmeal Bread which I haven’t made in a couple of years. I had made some notes, but I couldn’t remember why so I followed the recipe a little more closely. First off, you make a mixture by heating ½ cup Steel cut oats with 2 cups of milk. When it comes to a boil, take it off the heat, add salt, butter, 2/3 cup harvest grains and ¼ cup honey. Let cool. Put it in the bread machine. Add 1 1/2cups WWW, 1 3/4cups AP (I used bread), 1 egg and 3 teaspoons yeast. It also called for whole grain bread improver which I didn’t have, so I used the full amount of yeast.

Granted it was hot here, but when the dough cycle stopped it was to the top of the bucket. When I took it out, it was really sticky so I needed to add flour so the I could shape it. It was still pretty soft. I put it I. The Pullman as recommended to let it rise. It doubled in 15 minutes - I erred in letting it go another 5. I know I overproofed as it fell in the oven. It tastes good, but . . .I had forgotten that Cindy liked her breads softer than I do.

I had made a note to use 2 tsps yeast and I should have done that. I also used 3 tbls honey, but could probably reduce that. I’m trying to figure out if I need to add more flour in the beginning - any thoughts on the proportions? I had forgotten the impact of heat and high humidity even with AC.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Here is a link to the original recipe here at Nebraska Kitchen:

I baked it, then wrote in a reply what I did. I do not know if that helps, CWCdesign.

If you use the search tool here, you can also find your comments from when you baked it in the past. (That weekly baking thread comes in handy!)

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Thanks BA - I tried the search for Irish Oatmeal Bread with quotes and Mrs Cindy and it said there wasn’t anything by those names

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Interesting. I ran it as "Irish Oatmeal Bread," and the recipe came up, along with my comments on it, and some of yours from the past. Maybe the search tool does not work well with your phone? (Something else for Mike to explore--sigh.)

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Joan, your apple turnovers sound delicious. I also like your statement of a food item in the fridge that is not getting eaten that you did not want to waste. In my case, there was a small amount of cubed sweet potatoes in the refrigerator, left over from two dinners last week. I do not like food going to waste, especially more expensive organic sweet potatoes.

I did some searching for recipes that use mashed sweet potatoes and settled on the Spiced Sweet Potato and Chocolate Chip Bread from Ken Haedrich's The Harvest Baker (p.55). I halved the recipe, since I had about 3/4 cup of mashed sweet potatoes and baked it in a 3x7 pan, coated with The Grease in my countertop convection oven for about 50 minutes. I reduced the salt by half and added 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill milk powder. I omitted the chocolate chips but included the pecans. I slightly reduced the granulated sugar from 1/2 to 1/3 cup. The pan was perhaps slightly small, as the sides rose above the pan, but the loaf still baked nicely. When I bake the recipe again, I might look to see if I have a slightly larger pan.

I will add a note to this post once we slice and taste the bread.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I think the reason your search didn't work was that the recipe wasn't upload by Mrs. Cindy, so using that in the author field would have caused the search to fail.

Sometimes I find the best way to search for something I know is in the recipes section is to put in the search terms and limit the search to the recipes category. But there are a lot of recipes that are in the comments on other topics, such as the 'what are you baking' threads.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

So I just tried to search again on my laptop this time. Found it - I also discovered that there is actually a place where you can choose which forum - on my computer it's in dark purple, so it was hard to read - I'm also having trouble seeing fine print right now - I had searched from my iPad before, but it may have had a forum selected that I didn't know - I thought I was searching everything. Thanks for everyone's input.

BA, you and I are on the same track regarding the recipe. I will definitely back off on the yeast again - I might do 1 ½ teaspoons (I had written 2) go down further on the honey to 2 tablespoons (I used 3 this time) and perhaps add another ¼ cup flour. I will try the yeast and honey first and then see where I am. The bread I have should last for a couple of weeks.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

We cut into the loaf of sweet potato bread that I baked yesterday. It is excellent, with a slight density, and a reminder of the sweet potato texture. I will bake Ken Haedrich's recipe again, with my changes, whenever I have leftover sweet potato to use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.