What are You Baking the Week of June 18, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 18, 2017?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I will be baking later in the week, since I baked yesterday (see previous week's thread), but here is the new thread for those of you who have cool enough weather to venture into the kitchen.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

In my quest to bake through my perishable ingredients before we move--and to pull out any interesting recipes from my back issues (late 1990s and early 2000s) of Bon Appetit--I am baking Hazelnut-Cinnamon Biscotti (April 1998), p. 95. I changed it up in that I do not have fresh orange peel on hand, and so I used 1/4 tsp orange oil, and 1 tsp. of Penzey's dried orange peel. I also added about 4 oz. of mini-chocolate chips. If they are good, I will post the recipe. The original recipe used a food processor, which was all the rage at that time. I used my hand mixer, and the dough came together nicely.

Addendum: I used the KAF technique of letting the loaves cool for 25 min., then spritzing with water, and allowing to rest another 5 minutes before slicing. These are delicious, and I look forward to having them with coffee and tea.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made Cinnamon bread for the first time in awhile it was the recipe from the KAF .I made it my own recipe as I used left over mashed potatoes about a half cup instead of flakes,used brown sugar instead of white in the bread,I did like you suggested Mike in soaking the raisins in some rum and poured rest of rum off raisins in batter,used half milk and half water in the with the brown sugar and yeast time I finished I had to put another half cup or more of flour in and I also put a tablespoon of cinnamon in the bread and added an egg.The recipe states to use a 8x4 but I had a good bit of dough so I went with 9x5.When it rose up and I kneaded it and put the cinnamon sugar flour mixture on it it looked really big so I divided in 2 pans 9x5.It rose up really nice to top of pan and when baked looked good.Let it set just a few minutes before turning out and I guess the weight made it sink,it's like 3 inches tall but I'm not complaining it tastes very good and moist.Gave one loaf to my sister and mine is half eaten already.Baked a chocolate cake Sunday my husbands favorite.

cwcdesign
          Participant

My friend's husband has made a large batch of his delicious meatballs for us to have for sandwiches at work (the Lighthouse) today. So I figured I had better bake something. I made Ina's Chocolate Chunk Blondies from her Foolproof Cookbook. I left out the nuts because of one of my co-workers, used large instead of extra-large eggs and used my 9x13 pan instead of the 8x12 she used. I also only baked them for 25 minutes. They are really good!

I've also started cutting brownies in much smaller pieces when I make them for groups. So instead of 1 dozen, I got 4 dozen and am taking 3 dozen in. That way anyone who just wants a bite can have one and they're rich enough that it's probably enough. Because it's so hot down here already even with the AC on, I put them in the fridge so they wouldn't melt.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Friday evening, as the weather began to cool down, I made a batch of Chex Party Mix. I also baked Pecan Pumpkin Bars (like pumpkin pie with nut base), since I found another 2 cups of pumpkin puree in the freezer.

chocomouse
              Participant

Baker Aunt, I just love reading your posts about using up ingredients!! Interesting, amusing, and sometimes educational! I remember one time when we were moving across country and I was trying to empty out the freezer - was down to salmon, pheasant, and elk. We all were pretty sick of that and just wanted burgers. Your ingredients sound much more interesting to work with.

navlys
                Participant

Baker Aunt I'm always trying to use up freezer and pantry items that have been hanging around too. Sometimes I feel like I'm a contestant on Chopped and I always come out the winner. Well I don't win any money of course.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

i made Vienna bread (PaddyL's Double Crusty recipe) and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (my mother's oatmeal crisps recipe) today.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Today I made cornbread to go with our chicken salad

BakerAunt
                      Participant

The weather cooled down on Saturday, so I seized the baking opportunity. I tried a new bread recipe, "Naturally Sweet Wheat Bread," from the KAF Whole Grain Baking book (p. 190). The need to use up various ingredients and substitute for others where I was short meant adapting the recipe. I left out the raisins, as my husband will use this loaf for sandwiches. I omitted the orange juice (we like the whole wheat taste) and substituted additional water. I used 2 Tbs. honey and no brown sugar. I used 1/2 cup half and half that was starting to sour, along with 1/4 cup 1% milk. I used 3/4 cup spelt flour (only one package left to use!) and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour rather than all whole wheat. I only had about 1 1/4 cups bread flour left, so I used First Clear Flour to make up the remainder. I also used the gold yeast, as that is all I have on hand. I should probably cut back on the gold yeast; the first rise was 45 minutes and the second one 30 minutes.

For dinner, I made the KAF Utra-Thin Crust Pizza. Now it is time to pack my large rectangular Emile Henry pizza stone.

Chocomouse and Navlys--Thanks for your comments. I hate to waste food, not to mention valuable ingredients. I also tend to stock up when there are sales, and I probably stocked up too much on some ingredients. I remember when Zen moved a few years back, and was trying to use up her stock or explain to her son why some items needed to be moved.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        luvpyrpom
                        Participant

Sorry, I've been so MIA the last few months. I seem to be baking less and less as I'm struggling to eat them all. Finally have sort of figured out the pace of baking. I finally got back in to baking bread at least.

The week prior I had made Crack Pie Bars - it's a recipe I found on Pinterest and initially everyone loved it. But this time when I made it, the crust and filling all melded together in the oven. So this week I made a smaller batch and chilled the filling for 45 min to see if it would keep from melting all together. Nope, still all melted together. So I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I also dug out my pan di mie and made a couple loaves of the KAF Honey Oat bread. The first loaf didn't overfill the pan so the lid was easy to remove. The second one almost exploded out of the pan. Plus I baked them to an internal temp of 205 and the sides didn't sink in like my other loaves have in the past.

Hopefully I will be able to come back and report more of my baking in the future weeks.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Today I made burger buns. 50% Whole wheat (KAF WWW).

burgerbuns

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.