What are you Baking the Week of December 4, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of December 4, 2022?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I may do some banana muffins today. (But I've been saying that for a week or longer.)

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

My daughter and I made the KA "Easiest Stollen " . I used my own dried fruit mix which included raisins, currents and citron. As Larry David would say :"pretty, pretty good!!

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from dough I made last week.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made coconut-cranberry refrigerator cookies, slice and bake. This is my start to Christmas cookie baking.

chocomouse
            Participant

No baking today, but I went to the KABC retail store! They were having 2 days of their "friends and family" sale, with 20% off. I bought a couple of mixes for Christmas presents, and restocked my pantry with Pumpernickel, Malted Wheat Flakes, Semolina, Bread flour, and Lemon Juice Powder. And I helped my sister buy some gifts; I love spending other people's money! We also sat in the Cafe for an hour or so, chatting, with coffee and some baked goods.

cwcdesign
              Participant

On Saturday, I baked a Caribbean Rum Cake which I unmolded on Sunday and wrapped and put in the freezer for the Bake Sale this Saturday. Also, on Sunday I made my Irish Whiskey cake which was probably the worst one I've ever made. I've never baked a dry one before. Anyway I cut it in to sections to share with friends who are good enough friends that they understood. I said it needed ice cream or whipped cream and one of them said Chocolate Sauce!

I will make it again on Tuesday. I will use my larger bundt pan and I will incorporate the flour and liquids by hand. I will go back to my usual way of prepping the pan with the paste made from melted butter and cocoa powder from America's Test Kitchen. I tried oiling it and sifting in cocoa powder, but I think the cocoa powder stayed on too thick and absorbed a lot of the moisture from the cake. The cake also stuck in one part. I'm determined to redeem myself.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've always wondered what would happen if you substituted some of the flour in the pan grease with cocoa powder.

I use butter and cocoa powder for the Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, but cake-in-the-pan/crazy cake doesn't use any grease in the pan.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I found an internet article on my homepage that had ten recipes for German cookies. I looked through them and the Zimtsterne (Cinnamon Stars) did not call for butter but relies on finely ground almonds. So, on Tuesday, I baked the recipe, using Bob's Red Mill almond flour I had in the freezer. My star cutter must have been twice the size of hers, as I only got 14 stars and one smaller circle rather than 36. The recipe called for a meringue glaze, but I did not want to mess with it, so I used a half recipe for a Clear Cookie Glaze that was among my "to try" recipes. I substitute vanilla for the almond or orange extract. I probably could have made just a quarter recipe. I stuck the remaining glaze in a bowl in the refrigerator. I might try warming it up to see if I can use it on something else. The cookies were to bake 8 minutes, but given the size of mine, I let them bake for 15. I will sample one tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I baked brownies tonight, trying to pep my husbands appetite up, he had two helpings one after supper and one about an hour before bed.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Today I baked KAF's Caribbean Rum Cake for a holiday gathering. I also made my variation of the orange-cranberry bread recipe in The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking. This a very forgiving recipe for making changes - I used dried craisins and orange peel that I had candied yesterday. I put the batter into 6 small ceramic bread pans, to freeze for gifts.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Joan--sorry to hear that your husband is still not feeling well. I'm sure that the chocolate was welcomed medicine!

As I had two egg yolks leftover from yesterday, on Wednesday I decided to bake the Challah recipe that Cass gave me back on the Baking Circle. As he told me I could do back then, I used four egg yolks and one whole egg in the bread. I made one change in that I substituted 25% white whole wheat for that much bread flour. I made it as two loaves, one to start eating tomorrow and one to freeze. One loaf came out fatter and higher than the other. I think that I stretched out the dough too much while I was braiding, but both loaves look great.

Now I have two more egg whites to use in a recipe.

BTW, the Zimtsterne received great reviews from my husband. I like them too. The cookies have a slightly chewy texture and the almond and cinnamon work well, although I will cut the vanilla in the glaze back by half next time. I also need to look and see if I have a smaller star cookie cutter, as a single cookie is quite filling.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I finally found time on Thursday to bake my Rye and Barley Crispbread.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I just did a batch of chocolate-walnut scones. White flour and butter and sour cream. I'm still at my father's house so its harder to find time and space to bake. The last batch of scones was made with White Lily flour, and this was with KAF AP flour. The batter was very different. The White Lily batch was so soft and moist, I made it as drop biscuits, this batch was drier and denser -- I had to knead it to get all the dry ingredients incorporated and I rolled it into a log and cut it apart for half, and tried rolling the other half into balls. I was making mini scones in both cases, about 2 tablespoons of dough.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Today I made 2 loaves of Harvest Grain bread.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.