What are you Baking the week of December 29, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of December 29, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Any end of the year baking plans?

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I'm putting together New Year's Eve day breakfast. I made KAF English Muffin Toasting Bread. I didn't line the pan with cornmeal, because I don't like the mess when cornmeal or farina falls off onto the board. Tomorrow, I'll make Martha Stewart's Eggnog. Tuesday, I'll slice the Toasting Bread 5/8" thick and use the eggnog to make KAF French Toast. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the fact that my oven heats hot. I baked the bread for the minimum amount of time in the recipe. It's supposed to be golden brown. I ended up with brown. My husband says it looks like, "an old loaf of bread." That amuses me, because he's right. I hope it doesn't crumble when cut.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Italiancook.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I baked cornbread, using some of the cornmeal that we bought on our trip to Spring Mill State Park. The texture of the cornbread was wonderfully light, even though this cornmeal is not as finely ground as my usual cornmeal. I baked it in my Nordic Ware scone pan. I greased the pan with Crisco but had a bit of sticking. Next time, I’ll use The Grease.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I baked Chewy Maple cookies and Oatmeal Coconut cookies from dough I had portioned and frozen. Also made a Stollen. This time instead of making a free form crescent I panned it in a 9x5 USA pan. I baked up pretty nice but I'll know more tomorrow when I slice it. All this baking is to bring to a neighbor for New Years Eve.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked a half recipe of “Cider-Gingerbread Bundt Cake,” a recipe on the King Arthur Flour website. (The original recipe is designed for a 6-cup Bundt pan.) I baked it in the Nordic Ware “Holiday Teacakes” Cakelet pan, which makes 16 two-bite cakelets, four of each design. I replaced the butter with 3 Tbs. canola oil, and I substituted barley flour for 1/3 of the AP flour. I used most of a small, unpeeled Jonathan apple.

I used The Grease to coat the pan, baked for 15 minutes and cooled for five, and the cakes came right out and had good design definition. I did not use the glaze. We each had some at dinner and agree the taste is great and the recipe worth making again. These would be great on a party plate, along with cookies.

chocomouse
              Participant

I made orange-cinnamon buns. I just used a basic sweet dough recipe, with a couple of additions for the flavor. I used about 2 tablespoons of orange juice concentrate in the dough. After I rolled it out, I brushed the dough with orange juice concentrate, sprinkled it with brown sugar mixed with cinnamon, and chopped candied orange peel (not the commercial stuff, but some that I had made). I put some orange juice concentrate into the frosting also. These turned out really good, although next time I would increase the amount of the cinnamon and the orange peel.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by chocomouse.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Chocomouse the orange rolls sounds so good mmm.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I did a lot of cooking on Sunday. I made pumpkin chickpea curry soup, cheese pizza, and a Butternut galette using pumpkin, and roasting the rest of the pumpkin into pumpkin puree. I started this with a large blue Hubbard squash or maybe its a pumpkin. I cut this in half cleaned it up and started on the various recipes. The pumpkin soup needed 3 cups cut into small dice, the galette needed 4 cups cut into bigger 1/2 inch dice and the rest of it was roasted in the oven to be pureed later.
                    I also started 2 batches of whole wheat pizza dough. One batch of dough went into the butternut galette and the other made a fairly normal deep dish pizza, tomato sauce, mozarella and cheddar cheese.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

On Tuesday evening, I decided, after dinner that I wanted to bake blueberry pie filling sweet rolls for New Year’s breakfast. I initially planned to allow the shaped rolls to rise overnight, but I worried that the pie filling might leak out, so I stayed up and baked them. I used KAF’s Cranberry Orange Rolls as my base recipe, as I’ve used it for the blueberry pie filling rolls before, and I used the same substitutions of half whole what flour, buttermilk for the water, and water for the orange juice. I substituted 2 ½ Tbs. olive oil for the butter. However, the dough was very dry, and I had to add an additional 4 Tbs. of water to fix the hydration. I used a cup of pie filling that I canned in a quart jar in the summer of 2018. I’ll wait and add some glaze tomorrow morning.

Italiancook
                      Participant

For breakfast, I make KAF Easy Holiday Eggnog Muffins using the eggnog I made a couple of days ago. They're delicious.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Ah, yes, Italian Cook. That's a recipe that I have baked and enjoyed eating.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

I've done very little baking since before Christmas. This week I made KAF sour cream coffee cake. My one change is that I make half the crumb topping called for in the recipe. It seems like it's too much and no one has ever complained. It cuts the amount of butter and sugar used by a third. I need to make molasses cookies at some point but we're trying to detox from all of the cookies and chocolate.

My youngest has been watching the kids baking championship on the Food Network and has a list of things she wants us to make including macarons and pate' choux. Not certain when those will happen.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Aaron--I've always thought that KAF overdoes the crumb topping in many of its recipes.

That is great that your daughter is so interested in baking.

On Thursday evening, I am baking Stanley Ginsberg’s Spiced Pumpkin Bread, a German Whole Wheat-Rye Bread that I first baked at Thanksgiving. Today is the third time I’ve baked it, and we are anticipating slicing into it tomorrow, as we both love this bread. I used fresh pumpkin puree that I made today; I plan to freeze the puree, and I may weigh out enough to freeze separately so that we can enjoy this bread one more time this winter.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

On Friday morning, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made last week. Our long crackerless nightmare is over!

chocomouse
                                Participant

I made a carrot cake, for husband's birthday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.