What are you Baking the Week of April 25, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of April 25, 2021?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I don't refrigerate pan grease, either, but I have had it go moldy once. I usually have to stir it down because it has separated a little in between uses. (I don't use it a lot.)

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I make up a small amount of the pan grease and keep it in pantry,like Mike ,mine will separate and will have to stir it back together but it's awesome.

Italiancook
        Participant

I made a buttermilk yellow cake before breakfast. Maybe the "before breakfast" was my problem. The recipe says to bake at 375*. I preheated the oven to 350*. I caught the error with 10 minutes baking time left. I cranked oven to 375* and added 2 minutes to the cooking time. I was concerned that the 4 eggs be fully cooked. The end result was that the top and sides are too brown. Surprisingly, the bottom looks fine.

After 5 minutes out of the oven, I used a paper towel to hold the first layer's pan. Successfully, I caught the cake coming out of the pan with my palm. Unsuccessfully, I moved my fingers and pulled apart some of the cake top. Determined not to do that on the second layer, I didn't move my fingers. When I tried to flip over the cake onto the rack, the cake hit the rack and slid 3/4 of the way off the rack, headed for the floor. I threw the pan onto the counter and in the nick of time, caught the cake layer.

I don't anticipate any problems when I make blueberry muffins and pancakes later today. Those will be after breakfast.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My hand coordination is usually terrible first thing in the morning, too, and some days it doesn't get much better as the day progresses. Good thing I didn't become a mechanic.

chocomouse
            Participant

I have dough for chocolate chip - oatmeal cookies chilling in the fridge.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The Wall Street Journal has an article today (probably behind their paywall) on a Louisville KY favorite this time of year: chocolate, pecan and bourbon pie. But don't mention tomorrow's horse race in conjunction with it, the owner of that pie's trademarked name is very protective of it. (BTW, the 'real' thing doesn't have any bourbon in it.)

BakerAunt
                Participant

That was quite a morning, Italian Cook. I try not to bake anything too complicated before I've had my morning coffee.

I think that your eggs would still be fully cooked at 350F, as I have baked recipes with eggs at that temperature. The lower heat might have had more of an effect on how well the cake rose. My inclination, if I'd made the error would have been to increase the cooking time until the cake tested done rather than trying to do a late temperature increase.

This advice is being given from a woman who accidentally turned off the timer for what she was baking this afternoon instead of the timer for the cup of tea she was brewing. So, I guessed another 5 min. and took it out when it looked and tested done. Sigh.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Friday, I baked Zucchini Cinnamon Chip Bars, which are my rift on KABC’s Zucchini Chocolate Chip Pecan Bars.

We were also out of bread, so on Friday I baked three loaves of my adaptation of Grandma A’s Ranch Hand Bread. This recipe has been a favorite ever since Dachshundlady brought it to our attention on the Baking Circle where it was posted. The recipe is now here at Nebraska Kitchen. It makes three loaves, but there is a scaled down single loaf recipe, by Zen, also posted here that can be done with a mixer or bread machine.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I am making a batch of the Challah Prince's challah dough today, I'll probably do two 8-strand braids, because I thought those were the prettiest ones last time.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made a sourdough pan pizza for Saturday night dinner. I topped it with homemade sauce, Canadian bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, red bell pepper, and Parmesan, with black olives on my side as well.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I also made 'forgotten' chocolate meringue cookies with the left over egg whites from the egg wash on the challah.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.