What are You Baking the Week of April 2, 2017?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of April 2, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I baked yesterday and must focus on other work today, but for all you lucky people who can start baking today, here's this week's thread.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Today I baked rye sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Today I baked the Easy Buckwheat Oat English Muffins (recipe on this site under "by sue/theviewfrom") that I have been craving for a couple of weeks. I always substitute in 1 1/2 cups buttermilk for that much water. This time I substituted in 2 Tbs. of honey for the 2 Tbs. of sugar. I added 2 Tbs. of flax meal. I always find this dough very sticky, so I add an additional 2 Tbs. of bread flour. I'm looking forward to breakfast for the next few mornings--and breaking out some of my homemade jam.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

Well today I made The Cornbread Cake that Rascals1 told us about.All I can say is bake it,it's so good and easy.Went right by the recipe.It had a taste almost like a pecan pie,made a real nice bar type of cake.So easy,no mixer needed.Sure was good with a cup of coffee.Thanks again for the recipe Rascals1.

Rascals1
            Participant

glad you liked it Joan.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm baking Sub[marine] Rolls--a recipe that came with a flat, perforated bun pan (holds five) from KAF years ago. I always adapt the recipe by substituting in 2 cups whole wheat flour, but this time I substituted in an additional 1/2 cup Irish Wholemeal flour, as I need to use up my supply. I also added 1/4 cup special dried milk, and substituted 1 Tbs. of honey for 1 Tbs. of sugar. I reduced the salt from a tablespoon to two teaspoons. I like this recipe, since it has a preferment the night before, and while I've not made it in some time, I recall these sandwich rolls as being excellent. The plan is to have them over the next few days for turkey sandwiches.

Rascals1
                Participant

sounds good. haven't baked rolls or bread in a while. need to get back at it.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

BA, what is the difference between the Irish whole meal and whole wheat? Thanks

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Hi, Aaron. It has a courser ground and a more pronounced flavor that I would even call "sweeter." I use it in some raisin buns (KAF recipe) and it is also used in their tea brack. I probably forgot that I had it, because I was startled by how much I have in the freezer. I'm not sure how it might affect texture to use it interchangeably with my regular whole wheat.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt. Reason: fixed typo
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

While home on my lunch break, I baked a new recipe, "Mini-Fluted [Lemon] Cakes," a KAF recipe. However, I substituted lime powder for the lemon powder. (I have NO idea why I once bought that lime powder from KAF.) One of the reviewers mentioned making that substitution, so that is what I did. I used the Bob's Red Mill fine unbleached cake flour (KAF called for its own), and I used 1/2 tsp. lime oil in place of zest. I have lemon discs that I need to use up, so I topped the warm cakes with those, as the recipe specifies.

In case you are wondering, yes I had bought that special pan; in fact, I bought two when they were on sale. They are good for cute little cupcakes that need no frosting and easier to grease than a Bundtlet pan.

This recipe is a good example of how KAF pushes certain products: citrus powders, the discs, the unbleached "cake" flour, even the pan, I suppose, although it can be used for a variety of recipes. What can I say? I was once blinded by love because KAF gave me the Baking Circle. I'm still thankful to them for that, and for all of you here who I would not have known without Mike's starting this site when KAF closed its site. With KAF, however, it is now strictly business.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by BakerAunt.
                        aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

I LOVE Bob's Red Mill Cake Flour. It's just becoming hard to find. Last time I had to order it online and one of the bags spilt open in the shipping box.

But they are a very nice.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I like that Bob's Red Mill has free shipping on $50 worth. When we move, it will be a lot further away from places where I can buy it, so I expect to do a large shipment once or twice a year.

I tried their unbleached cake flour because Aaron recommended it on this site! ๐Ÿ™‚

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

BakerAunt,I too agree that I'm thankful to Mike for this site and getting to know you all!

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

I'm with you. Mike has done us a great service creating and maintaining this site in addition to all his cooking, baking, and restaurant wisdom.

Thanks Mike.

Italiancook
                                Participant

Ditto. Thanks for the forum, Mike.

BakerAunt, you may have printed Ina Garten's recipe for Cheddar Biscuits after I mentioned it a few months ago. Just want you to know that today I was rummaging through the freezer looking for a bread to eat with broccoli soup. All I could find was one lone Cheddar Biscuit dated 10-24-16. The microwave rejuvenated it, and I have to tell you, it tasted better than they did fresh . . . and I liked them fresh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.