Sourdough gadget

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Sourdough gadget

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I prefer the low tech--and inexpensive--method. One of the problems with the sourdough craze is that the recipe sites are making it seem more complicated than it is and undermining the confidence of new sourdough bakers.

BTW, Stephen Colbert had someone send him starter--he described it as looking like paint chips--that finally enabled him to produce a lovely loaf, which he featured in a picture on A Late Show.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Paint chips is actually a pretty good description of what dried starter looks like.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

There was a post on the BBGA forum recently on a home-brew kit for monitoring your sourdough culture, it really doesn't surprise me that someone's selling a similar item. It strikes me as information overkill, not that I haven't been guilty of that at times myself.

But most sourdough bakers know their starter about as well as they know their pets, if not better. I can look at mine, and smell it, and know whether it needs to be fed, whether it is ready to be used for making bread, whether it is developing problems, etc.

In fact, I take it back. I know more about how my sourdough culture is behaving than I do about my cat's behavior.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Will says that's stupid - all you have to do is look at it - hah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.