Semolina Rolls

Home Forums Recipes Semolina Rolls

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Semolina Rolls makes 12

This recipe originally appeared in the King Arthur Baker’s Catalogue and on the back of bags of their semolina flour. I have included changes I have made when baking it.

1 ¼-1 1/3 cup water (110F)
      2 tsp. sugar
      2 tsp. yeast
      1 Tbs. olive oil [may want to mix in toward end]
      2 cups semolina
      2 Tbs. dry buttermilk powder or special dry milk [delete if using buttermilk in place of so water]
      ¾ to 1 cup King Arthur unbleached flour [3/4 + 2 Tbs. has worked well for me]
      1 ½ tsp. salt

Extra semolina for coating rolls before baking.

Optional add-ins
      ½ cup grated cheddar
      ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
      ¾ tsp. chili powder
      1/8 tsp. cumin powder

Combine water, sugar, and yeast in 4-qt. bowl. Let proof 5 minutes. [If using instant yeast, you can skip the proofing.]

Stir in oil and semolina. [Actually, I would wait and add the oil toward the end. See note.]

Stir together flour and milk powder and add. Stir in salt. Knead for 5-8 minutes, adding additional flour as needed. If you choose to add any of the optional ingredients, do so during the last 5 minutes of kneading.

Place dough in greased 3-qt. bowl, cover with saran, and let rise 1 hour.

Punch down dough and knead briefly. Divide into twelve equal pieces. [KAF forms into a log and cuts into 12.] Form each piece into a a smooth, round ball. Roll top surface of each ball in semolina, and space evenly on heavy, parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover, and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 400F.

Spritz rolls lightly with water. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Some additional notes: Cass (Kid Pizza) told me to hold off adding the oil to breads until near the end, or it can hurt the yeast. I would mix the semolina into the yeast, and let it rest for 15 minutes, then mix in the flour and salt, then the oil. At that point, I would move to the kneading hook. If using a bread machine, I would hold the oil until the ingredients came together, then add it. These rolls can burn easily on the bottom. Use a heavy baking sheet, or a doubled baking sheet. You might want to put them on a slightly higher rack to bake.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.