Recipes uploaded from the BC, by original poster

Home Forums General Discussions Recipes uploaded from the BC, by original poster

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Hi, Cwcdesign: Definitely contact the developer. Not only is it inconvenient for the users, as you and Zen unfortunately found out, but it perpetuates the idea that the person who creates or recommends the recipe is unimportant. I have a standing rule never to buy one of those modern cookbooks that has absolutely no information about where the recipes come from and who developed them.

I also like to see what people say about a recipe. The feedback lets us know what worked and what might work better.

S_Wirth
      Participant

We're better off than we thought...I copied this from Zen's site where she talks of how she copied recipes:
        ---
        Re: Baking Circle Extended to May 24
        PostPosted by Pyewacket » Tue May 24, 2016 5:59 am

For now, I'm thinking I'll compress them all into one or several zip files and put them up on Dropbox. I'm not sure if I have room in my account at the moment, but we'll see. Then I can post a link to them and anyone can get them.

Right now they're in HTML format - I downloaded the entire web page, including all pictures, so you can do with them anything you want. That Paprika recipe program suggested by Carol seems to handle web pages just fine, but I've not fiddled with it enough yet to be sure how accurate it is or what formats I can export with it.
        -----
        Here is more from a post above this one:
        -----
        I have had my head buried in the recipe forum over there for so long now, I didn't even take time to EAT let alone check the forums for announcements. I was actually afraid to navigate away from the recipes as I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back in. The site actually glitched Wed night and I thought it had gone down - but it was back up after about an hour after all.

But I GOT IT ALL. Every recipe in the recipe forum, I have it. I may have missed a few by accident, but as well as I can tell, I got 'em all.

Now what do we want to do with them? LOL!
        --------

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by S_Wirth.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by S_Wirth.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I left a message on her site saying I'd be happy to host the files on my server, it's got plenty of space. It'd be good to have them in more than one place, just in case one site develops problems.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          BakerAunt
          Participant

OK, I've completed Chiara and cwalde.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We're well over 1100 recipes uploaded now.

BTW, my Internet provider was having problems this morning, so the site was down for a couple of hours.

S_Wirth
              Participant

Glad your internet problem is resolved. I figured it was on my end but all the other places were working. In the last few days I've heard of other areas of the country with internet down for even several days. SC and LA are currently working on issues.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I've now added cooking202 and ddoug to the recipe section.

Also Elsa's, and I'm about to start on Glory's.

I have finished Glory's.

We now have over 1200 recipes, with a lot more to go.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

I've now done Granny's and Judel's recipes.

I also uploaded the one recipe that I managed to post on the KAF site. (This was going to be the summer when I posted a lot of them. Sigh.)

I went ahead and posted Annabelle's Lair (Nebelwesen's ) recipes, even though I cannot include the pictures.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I added tarrka1089 and sarahh this morning.

I'm feeling a bit discouraged. Mike set up this wonderful website. Sarah, Rottiedogs, and I have been working to upload BC threads and recipes. I'm surprised that more people have not uploaded their recipes or threads, especially since swirth put so much time into helping members find items before the BC closed. I'm also disappointed that so few people appear to be coming to this site. I'd hate to think that KAF was right when they closed down the Baking Circle in favor of social media. Or maybe they were right that the BC had become more social and not that much about baking.

Zen's website really hasn't gotten that much activity either. Very little has been posted on the What Did You Bake and What Did You Cook threads on either site. It is very hot in my part of Texas, with temperatures in the lower 100s, so maybe other parts of the country are also dealing with heat.

I will keep uploading what I have--even with my broadband periodically cutting out so that I have to re-do the recipe I just did. It would be nice, however, to see some signs of vitality.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

The fall-off in posts is a little disappointing but not surprising. I'm sure lots of folks missed seeing the relatively abrupt discontinuance by KAF. We also don't have the benefit of casual viewers from other parts of the KAF site wandering into the forums. I know I don't bake as much in the summertime, I assume others may be similarly inclined.

I had assumed all along as I was drawing up plans for my own site that it could take a year or longer to build up traffic to the point where it looked like it was worth the effort. Getting a decent base of recipes up should help jump start that process, but getting a library of instructional blog posts and a reputation for well-written instructive articles may help even more, by drawing folks in looking for help and by moving us up the list in the search engines.

With over 1200 recipes on the site, the need for a better recipe search process is becoming apparent.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

I added Zen's and Sheryle's this evening. We are now at over 1300 recipes.

rottiedogs
                          Participant

Still working on brianjwood. Bakeraunt, if you email me the recipes for annabelle's lair with the pictures I will take a crack at uploading them. I have the recipes too but not the pictures. I copied and pasted as text so the pictures did not save.

Italiancook
                            Participant

BakerAunt, I understand your frustration. You've worked hard putting recipes on this site. Maybe people are busy with out-of-town guests. I've spent the last 2-1/2 weeks getting ready for guests and entertaining them. I think that for northerners, summer is a busy guest season as people don't want to travel when there might be snow or ice.

I bake as much during the summer as I do the rest of the year. But I bake in spurts. I may bake a lot (for me) in one week and do no baking the next. As for cooking, I've been in a lazy streak and have made do with simple foods that really don't qualify as cooking. So I don't always have something to contribute to the What Did You Bake/Cook posts, but I sure enjoy reading what you and others have been doing. Those posts motivate me.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Rottiedogs: I have e-mailed you the thread for Annabelle's Lair.

brianjwoods recipes are daunting because there are so many of them. You have made great progress with them.

Italian Cook: Thank you for the encouragement. I actually have more time to experiment with recipes in the summer when I'm not teaching, so in spite of the heat, I push on. My "What Did You Cook" thread shows that most of my cooking is rather simple. My husband does not do well with tomato sauce or assertive spices or onions, so some of my more interesting repertoire rarely gets cooked.

All: In re-reading some of the threads as I posted them, I feel nostalgic for the way that so many people jumped in, and I always learned so much, as well as became inspired to try new recipes. I miss that and hope that eventually we will have that sense again of a neighborhood kitchen.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

With my wife on a 20 carb diet, cooking here has been greatly simplified, lots of steaks and fish and the occasional roasted chicken or ham steak for proteins, salad or broccoli for a side dish. No potatoes, no bread, no sandwiches, not even burgers.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 93 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.