Question about Oat Nutrition

Home Forums General Discussions Question about Oat Nutrition

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have been buying Bob's Red Mill old-fashioned oats, but since I can no longer get free shipping on a case, I bought the much less expensive Aldi's old-fashioned oats. When I compared nutritional values yesterday, I was surprised by the difference in these values:

Bob's Red Mill (1/2 cup or 48 g)
      Calcium 23 mg
      Iron 3 mg
      Potassium 149 mg

Aldi's 1/2 cup or 40g)
      Calcium 0%
      Iron 1.6 mg
      Potassium 150 mg

I'm assuming the difference has to do with variety of oat and perhaps the soil in which it is grown or perhaps the processing method? Maybe a combination of all three?

The Aldi's oats are a bit thinner than the Bob's Red Mill, so they clumped more in my granola.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

It may have more to do with processing methods, BRM may be removing less of the hull, which is likely where the calcium and iron would be highest. That might also explain the thickness difference.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I always thought that the taste of the BRM oats was better than that of other oats, which is why I have been using them these past years. I only bought one box of the Aldi's oats, so I will be going back to BRM, even though the price has jumped significantly. I will need to see if Walmart has bags by the case.

I wonder what other nutrients might be missing. At one time, BRM listed everything, but now they only list what government has mandated, which is what most other brands do.

For barley flour, I bought from "Food to Love," and that company does give a complete nutritional profile.

BakerAunt
          Participant

While we are discussing nutrition, I will add an observation about milk. I was accustomed to 8 oz. of milk containing 300 mg calcium, even if it were low-fat or non-fat. For the last few years, the 1% milk I buy here in north central Indiana has only 250 mg. I had wondered if that were because it was being calculated differently. However, when we were in Colorado Springs for a wedding, the 1% milk i bought had 350 mg per cup.

There is a brand that has higher fortification--and is more expensive--but I would have to buy a bottle of nonfat and a bottle of 2% and mix them, as they do not carry 1%.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Different breeds of milk cows produce different amount of calcium in their milk. It also varies depending upon their diet. The usual range is 250-300 mg per 8 ounce serving, anything more than that is probably enhanced. Lower fat milks are usually a little higher in calcium, assuming they come from the same source, because there's no calcium in butterfat.

Since Bob Moore sold BRM (to his employees) it has seemed like it is less consumer oriented. I'm sure the pandemic is a factor.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thanks for the information, Mike. It makes sense that the breed of cow and food would make a difference in calcium content.

I get discouraged trying to keep up with nutritional information, and as we have noted in other threads, it is not an exact science, or maybe there have not been enough well-grounded research. I am bemused by the articles on nutrition that suggest certain foods but do not take into consideration that some of those foods are seasonal, and that where and how they are grown may make a difference.

I live in something of a produce desert, except when the farmers market finally gets going.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I get a big laugh out of the 'only eat foods grown within 100 miles' movement, like that's something the stores tell you and it doesn't take into account growing seasons.

We may all live in a produce desert in the next year or two if the still-dropping water levels at Lakes Powell and Mead mean they have to cut back on the amount of water they can supply to central California, where much of the produce is grown.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.