Playing with bread upload pics

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Playing with bread upload pics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Since I have no idea what I'm doing, I wanted to test uploading two bread pics. I reduced them by guessing. One is the no knead cranberry pecan which goes into a cold oven. The other is semolina which goes into a hot pot.

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kimbob
      Participant

Just one more test. Thanks!

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

If you're on a PC, I strongly recommend using Irfanview. It is free for non-commercial use, and it gives you a lot of tools to manipulate images but it is very easy to use.

I take most of my photos at high resolution (6000 x 4000) and use Irfanview to reduce them to 600 x 400 before uploading them. Sometimes I'll crop out stuff on the sides that isn't needed, like the edge of the pan.

It has a batch mode for processing large groups of photos, but I usually do one or two at a time, so I don't use that mode a lot. You can manipulate all the way down to the pixel level.

I have something called a ShotBox, which is a portable small photo studio / light box with several photo backgrounds (a Christmas present from my son, who was one of the kickstarter participants for it), but I also went to the craft store and bought a 20x30 sheet of foam board that I use as a background for larger things.

kimbob
          Participant

Thanks, Mike, I'll check it out.

S_Wirth
            Participant

Your breads look wonderful, Kimbob!

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I second what Swirth said, your breads look great Kimbob.

kimbob
                Participant

Thanks S_Wirth and Joan!! I'm not that enthused with no knead bread but those 2 come out good and are the only no kneads I make.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've never been a fan of no-knead recipes, either, but there's an article in the latest Bread Lines (BBGA newsletter) that talks about Prof. Calvel's 'improved mix' idea versus the old French practice of "mix a little, ferment a lot". I think no-knead recipes might come close to that old practice in spirit.

I think one of the best set of baguettes I ever made was the time I was testing how many rises I could get out of the yeast, as there was a discussion underway that claimed you couldn't get more than 2 rises out of a lean dough without running out of sugars for the yeast to eat.

I'd let it rise for an hour, punch it down, let it rise another hour, etc. After 6 hours of bulk-rise, it was still rising just fine, and at that point I shaped, proofed and baked them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.