Pita Bread

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This link to a BBGA member's posts to Fresh Loaf on pita (among others) may be interesting.

Pita Recipe

S_Wirth
      Participant

This article came up on my Firefox page today on Pita Bread:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-make-pita-bread-at-home?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I wonder what would happen if you pre-gelatinized some of the flour using the tangzhong method?

BakerAunt
          Participant

The sourdough pita is probably more work than I want to do, but those look excellent.

The recipe CWCdesign posted would be one that I might try.

Also, thanks to S. Wirth for posting the link to the pita article and recipe. I might try that one also. I note that in the picture the top and bottom are even thickness.

I am wondering if the amount of heat on the stone (or steel) affects the bottom and top thicknesses.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My guess is you could simplify the recipe, maybe make a simple flying sponge with 50 grams of flour, 50 grams of water and 5 grams of yeast and let it sit for an hour or two. I like the idea of having both white flour and whole wheat flour, I think whole wheat would add good texture and flavor to pita.

Peter Reinhart has a recipe in American Pie for carta di musica pizza crust that behaves like a pita, you bake the dough on a stone long enough for it to puff up like a pita then take it out before it starts to get brown or crisp, let it cool (it will deflate), separate it along the outside edges into two pieces, and use it as the crust for two pizzas. If one part comes out a bit too thin, he suggests baking it further and using it as crackers. I haven't tried this yet, though.

cwcdesign
              Participant

BA the recipe that I posted is so simple, and you can easily sub in just about anything. If you’re interested in a video. Baking Steel has a YouTube Channel. Andris gets a little scattered in his talking but I usually get really helpful information from the videos that is not in the recipe- they’re usually about ½ hour or less and he answers questions in the video and the comments

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.