Penzey’s Chicken Base Recall and other non-Penzey’s products w/ Cooked Chicken

Home Forums General Discussions Penzey’s Chicken Base Recall and other non-Penzey’s products w/ Cooked Chicken

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I received the following email from Penzey's today. It concerns a recall of some of their chicken base. Apparently, there are issues with some other chicken products as well. I've pasted in the email contents:

If you have chicken soup base from us please check your jar’s best by dates to see if yours has been recalled. The lot numbers are: 00139, 01839, 01049, SEP0820VAN, and OCT1420VAN. These were sold from 3.16.19 onward. If you have one of these jars, don’t use it and see the instructions below for your refund.
      We just needed to mail this notice to our customers who are chicken soup base buyers, but we mailed everyone because this recall affects a huge number of products that contain cooked chicken. Especially if you are cooking for the very young, the elderly, those who may be pregnant or those with weakened immune systems and have in your home products that contain cooked chicken that are “ready-to-eat” you should be checking the USDA’s page on this recall here. The list is currently at 191 pages and is growing. Though there have not been confirmed cases of illnesses from these products, the risk is real. Don’t take chances.
      We can assure you that with us there is no chance of cross-contamination. The soup bases have always been one of the very few items we have manufactured outside our facilities. As much as I like to control everything, and as much as for generations soup bases have been part of the spice industry, back in my vegetarian days I decided that being a meat processor was just not for us. They are really nice bases though and the Seafood, Ham, Beef and Vegetable are all still in stock and are no way part of this recall.
      We’d like to thank the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for doing the testing that discovered the issues with this American-produced ingredient in all these chicken products, and those at the USDA and the FDA doing all they can to get these products out of circulation. They really do care about your safety. This also seems a good moment to point out the obvious in all of this and that is those saying deregulation is good for business and good for the American people are oftentimes really wrong. We never had to recall any U.S. made products in the Obama years or under Bush, Clinton or the original Bush either. Just saying.
      If you are in possession of a Penzeys Spices Chicken Base for Soup and Seasoning that was purchased since March 16, 2019 with the lot numbers of: 00139, 01839, 01049, SEP0820VAN, or OCT1420VAN, please contact us for a full refund or exchange.
      To receive a refund or exchange, please either:
      1) Return the jar to any of our retail locations, or
      2) Send us an email to customerservice1@penzeys.com, including your name, an approximate date of purchase, and a picture of the bottom of the jar, or
      3) Contact our Call Center at (800) 741-7787

Sorry about this,

Bill
      bill@penzeys.com

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Here's the link to the USDA recall notice, all 191 pages of it:
        chicken recall

Most of this appears to be institutional packages, but I did notice some Trader Joe's products on it.

S_Wirth
        Participant

Eight days or so ago, I saw a large recall for Aldi, Kroger, Target, Giant and Food Lion for Listeria contaminated chicken salad and other fully cooked chicken products. You can find that info searching on Aldi's recall.

As soon as I got the Penzeys recall email, I looked thru all 191 items and did not see the Aldi's recall or the Target, etc. items shown.

I did not see Listeria listed in the Penzeys listed 191 items. I searched on Listeria last week and it can live in oxygen-free conditions and said it can take up to 70 days to produce illness and that it is worse than botulism.

I buy lots of Great Value canned chicken and make chicken salad twice a week in warm weather months. I'll keep checking for that item to see if it comes up.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I don't think it affects canned products, just fresh and frozen ones and maybe freeze-dried.

A lot of the products on the recall page were 10 pound pre-diced packages, which is probably where delis get the chicken for their chicken salad. Some Reser products were also listed.

BakerAunt
            Participant

For some reason, my intro in the first post did not come out correctly, so I have fixed it.

I noted some food marketed for backpackers came up--probably freeze dried, as Mike noted.

Like S. Wirth, I was concerned about canned chicken, as I keep it on hand for when we travel or if I need a quick meal. However, as Mike notes, so far, it is not showing up. There is another kind of chicken base, other than the Penzey's, Essenhaus,, that was on the list.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
              • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.