Pain de mie pan

Home Forums General Discussions Pain de mie pan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

I've always wanted to try a pain de mie pan but never bought one until today on Amazon. I purchased the 9" USA bakeware pan which is the same one sold by KAF. It was $1 more but free shipping since I have prime. Any hints or tips from anyone who has used it? The one fear I have is that the bread will rise so much that it blows the top off! I looked at the recipe on KAF site for basic white bread which I'll try first. The pan may even come with a recipe. Thanks.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

kimbob, I haven't bought it yet, but I have the KAF 13" pain de mie pan on my list. I want to make KAF's Bee Keeper's Pain de Mie. According to that recipe, the dough is pressed into the corners and an inch or so of the lid is left open so the baker can keep track of the rise. It's baked when the rise is "just below the lip of the pan." Since I've never done this, I don't know if this is also the technique for the 9" pan. Please let us know your experience; I'm curious.

BakerAunt
        Participant

BTW, King Arthur has a lot of their baking pans (USA) currently on sale, including the pain de mie pan.

kimbob
          Participant

Hmmm, don't see the pain de mie on sale, BakerAunt.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I just checked. The pans were there yesterday, in the "Sale and Specials" section. However, you are correct that as of today, only a few USA pans are there.

I like to use Bakers Bucks in the sale section, which is why I will be receiving the electric mini pizzella griddle, which I plan to use for crackers.

kimbob
              Participant

BakerAunt, the mini pizzelle maker is cute and your crackers would be just the right size. I have 2 of the large electric pizzelle makers. I should make some pizzelles this week. Thanks for giving me the idea!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I think King Arthur's annual April 1st posting of kitchen disasters a few years back included a pain de mie that had been overloaded with dough and burst.

I think there's a bit of flexibility in terms of how much dough to put in one, you want some compression so that you get a nice tight crumb, but I think you just have to learn how much dough to put in a pan by trying, as different recipes rise different amounts.

My oft-repeated advice: take good notes on what you try and how well it works.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

I have the 13” pan de mie and I love it. I have been getting much better at not having it explode over the top. And I live in the humid south where my rising times are shorter.
                    PJ has some really good blog posts on the pan de mie recipes. My favorite is still the white bread recipe - I often add wheat to it. But I have been playing with the honey oat that is a recipe for the 9” pan.

I’ve learned from PJ that I can put a 9” recipe in a 13” pan by increasing the recipe by 50%. I would assume reducing one would be the opposite.

Italiancook, I hadn’t seen the Bee Keepers pan de mie - I’ll have to try it next.

kimbob
                    Participant

Recd the pain de mie today. Tomorrow I'm going to make the white bread. Cwcdesign, I do see the honey oat recipe which looks good. That will be the 2nd experiment. Oohh, so excited! Doesn't take much. Lol

cwcdesign
                      Participant

Have fun Kimbob. When I made the honey oat the second time I used half AP and half WWW - I liked it better, Will didn’t. I also mixed the dough in a bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes per the recipe. Then I put it in the Zo on the dough cycle (preheat off). Oh, and I used more water, but not the full amount, which I think helped.

kimbob
                        Participant

The pain de mie bread came out pretty good. I could have let it rise a wee bit more to fill out 1/4 inch on each side top but it's fine. Haven't cut into it yet but it should be cool enough soon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.