National Bakery in Tarpon Springs, Florida

Home Forums Restaurants and Books, news and reviews National Bakery in Tarpon Springs, Florida

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We escaped the snow and are spending time in Florida. Today, we headed off for Honeymoon Island State Park, but first we drove on to Tarpon Springs and went to the National Bakery (established 1925), where my husband's family always stopped when he was a boy. We came away with a bag of large, twisted Koulourakia (my husband's favorite), a bag of large anise biscotti (my favorite), and a wonderful loaf of white bread, baked as a boule, which the man at the counter put into a brown paper bag. It has the crisp crust and the wonderful open crumb interior, and we ate at least a quarter of the loaf at dinner, swooning with every bite. We hope to get back to the National Bakery at least once more before we head home. Prices are reasonable--I paid $12 for the cookies and bread. It's cash only, no credit cards.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
      SherryWright
      Participant

That's very nice!!

navlys
        Participant

Will have to remember your post when we get to Florida this winter. We've been to Tarpon Springs a few times and on one occasion had dinner at one of their "must go to" restaurants. We had the flaming Saganaki cheese and shouted "Opa" with the rest of the restaurant. They have some great little shops too.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Thursday, we made our yearly trek to Honeymoon Island, a state park that has a number of beaches, including one where dogs are allowed, as well as a trail from which people can see ospreys in their nests. Last year, every osprey we saw seemed to have a fish in its bill. The end of the trail was closed, as once again there is a bald eagle nest that can be seen from a distance.

Before going to the park, however, we made our pilgrimage to the National Bakery (founded 1925) in Tarpon Springs--the subject of this thread a year ago. This year we bought a long loaf of whole wheat bread, which we both like a lot. We bought a bag of anise-sesame biscotti for me, as I am running out of the low-fat items that I brought with us. I will limit myself to one per day, as I'm not sure what is in them, although I don't think they are butter based. My husband wanted to buy some Koulourakia, but he instead ended up with a circular cookie, which has what I think it an almond taste. (It is probably a good idea to ask for exactly what you want.) I looked longingly at the pastries but passed them by.

If you are ever in this area, do go to this bakery.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.