My Week At Chocolate Boot Camp — Day 4

Home Forums General Discussions My Week At Chocolate Boot Camp — Day 4

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

It's day 4, the last day of Chocolate Boot Camp. (Most Chocolate Academy courses are three days long, but this is a four-day course, because there's so much material to cover. Click here to read the r
      [See the full post at: My Week At Chocolate Boot Camp - Day 4]

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

What an exciting adventure for you! I've been enjoying each of your posts and the last one is just outstandingly beautiful! The orange pumpkin is so pretty...orange is my favorite color and that pumpkin is so festive and awesome. Thanks for sharing your class with us!

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm impressed by how the creations look. I wish that I could taste them!

Mike: Consider doing a postscript blog when you try some of these chocolate techniques at home.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I don't have the varieties of chocolate and many of the other ingredients we used in class (like the yummy white-chocolate covered freeze-dried strawberries), but my chocolate tempering pot came this afternoon and I'm starting to plan for a chocolate session soon. I do plan to take photos. (I'll have a better camera, too, I didn't take my Canon T6I DSLR to Chicago, just the Nikon Coolpix, which fits in a shirt pocket.)

The real challenge may be scaling some of the ganache recipes down to a size I can make (and use) at home. (The good news is ganache keeps for about two weeks and can be reheated.)

I'm going to try to repair the bat and either make new legs for my spider or start from scratch and see if I can make a more realistic looking one.

Italiancook
            Participant

You have a good cooking project for the winter months after you retire. Of course, after your course, you're going to want to delve right into it. Nevertheless, chocolate sounds like wintertime fun.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I got started making the almond rocher last night, boil almond slivers in a sugar solution for 2 minutes then toast them in the oven until they caramelize.

They're delicious before I even add the chocolate! I'm making two small test batches, one with some milk chocolate and one with Ghiradelli chocolate coating (not a true milk chocolate, as it has palm kernel oil instead of cocoa butter.) I think the Ghiradelli coating tastes funny by itself, but I tried a taste of the leftovers in the bowl after making a small batch of 'haystacks' and it tasted pretty good.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Sadly, the bat was not repairable, the wings kept falling off. But it was still tasty, even though the spray painted black cocoa butter tries to come off on my fingers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.