Making deli rye

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Making deli rye

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

What do I need to make deli rye like a bakery? I have access to two professional kitchens now.

One is a restaurant with some good bread making gear as they make thousands of pitas daily. But pita is the only bread they make.

The other is a commissary kitchen I've yet to see.

So what should I look for besides large stand mixers (I know there are other dough mixers), proofers, etc.

The restaurant has a convection oven but not a deck oven. Do I need that? Can I simulate that on a professional level with a convection oven with stones or terra cotta?

Thanks

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm out of my depth with this one, Aaron, but I do have a question or two. What do you consider the significant features of your deli rye? Are you trying to get a certain kind of crust that requires steam?

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks BA. In the past, yes, I've used steam pouring water into an empty pan in the oven to. I want a chewy loaf with a little snap to crust but not a crunch if that makes sense.

BakerAunt
          Participant

That makes sense. I've been pleased with the chewy crust I get with the long Emile Henry Baker that KAF and others sell, although I've not tried it with rye bread. I don't think it would work well for large-scale bread production.

chocomouse
            Participant

I used to pour water into a pan to make steam when I wanted a crisp crust, but about 10-15 years ago I bought a porous clay long covered bake. It is not the one that KAF sells, and I think I might have bought it from Pampered Chef, but not sure. It does produce a crisp crust, although not as crunchy as bread baked in a commercial steam oven. It is easier and safer than producing steam in the oven. I do love the bread I get from baking in it, but never made a rye in it, however I will try that soon. I agree with BakerAunt that it would not be suitable for large scale production.

I'd also like to comment on using a convection oven -- I've only rarely used the convection in my microwave, so really have no experience to speak of using convection for cooking or baking. However, what I have read about it makes me think it would not be a good choice for baking. Maybe others will weight in on that option.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

A commercial convection oven is likely to work differently from home ones, where the convection feature is often an add-on. There are many restaurants and bakeries that use them for all their baking.

chocomouse
                Participant

Thanks, Mike. I do know that commercial ovens are different from home ovens, although not specifically convection.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Are you egg-washing the loaves? I think that affects the crust as well as the color/appearance.

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Thanks. The restaurant kitchen has a couple of ranges but those ovens are mostly used for finishing things that have been on the cook top.

The main oven where bread and desserts are baked is a big, Blodgett convection oven but will cook with or without convection on. Not sure how rye bread will bake in a non-deck oven like that. Only made it in bread ovens and my home range with a stone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.