Lining Pan for Cinnamon Rolls??

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Lining Pan for Cinnamon Rolls??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have been thinking about how cinnamon roll filling always leaks a bit. I'm wondering if lining the pan with parchment would make for less of a problem with getting the rolls out of the pan and clean-up. I've never seen it suggested in a recipe for sweet rolls, so perhaps it is not a good idea?

I'm also thinking of reducing the filling a bit.

Thoughts?

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I've been using parchment paper on nearly everything I bake. I sometimes don't use it on cast iron pans. I would definitely use it for cinnamon rolls as the sugar in the filling often sticks to the bottom.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I know some bakeries do their cinnamon rolls on silpats, but personally I find if I slather butter and brown sugar on the pan before putting the rolls on it, you get a nice butterscotch glaze on the bottoms, making them more like sticky rolls.

If you decant the entire pan onto another sheet pan while it's still warm, most of the glaze will come out.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I always line the pan with parchment. I'm a big fan of easier cleanup.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Thanks, Mike and Len. I will be baking the sweet rolls at my husband's family reunion again this year. I want to protect my pans from anyone who might use a metal utensil to pry out the sweet roll. Leaving them in the pan works better for away from home where I do not have my storage containers and toting them along would be cumbersome. Parchment lining the bottom of the pans might be my best option in this situation.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Aside from muffin tins, I do not use non-stick pans in the oven and not very often on the stove. (My muffin tins are ceramic coated and so far the coating seems pretty secure.)

BakerAunt
                Participant

I use the USA pans. Although they are not non-stick, they do have some kind of clear coating that is susceptible to sharp implements and will also react with acidic ingredients, such as apple or blueberries.

I tried glass baking dishes--and my vegan cinnamon rolls bake in a ceramic dish--but I still had the sticking problem. I have had good results with some of my ceramic baking dishes for other sweet roll recipes, but my regular recipe calls for a 13x9 pan.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

The reason I went to a compound butter for cinnamon rolls is that you spread it on and very little leaks out.

I don't know if it is possible to do something similar with a little neutral oil instead of butter. Might be worth a small experiment. Sometimes I make a small batch of cinnamon rolls, just 4 rolls in the batch.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I like the idea Mike. I'm going to experiment with perhaps 1 Tbs. avocado oil to 1 cup light brown sugar and cinnamon. I'll report back.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I ended up using 2 Tbs. avocado oil to mix with the cinnamon sugar (1 cup sugar + 1 1/2 Tbs. cinnamon). It was a lot easier to spread it on the dough before rolling, and it kept the cinnamon sugar in place while cutting and placing in the pan.

I still had leakage, but it is a little easier to remove the rolls even with the leakage. I still might experiment in the future with lining the pan with parchment paper. I might also experiment with turning them out onto a platter. However, I do not have time for additional experimentation before the family reunion--even though I am certain my husband and I would be able to eat the results! I also want to take as little equipment with me as possible. I will be pre-mixing the dried ingredients, except for the yeast, so that I can dump the bag into the bread machine with the wet ingredients.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Great. I wonder how a butter-flavored oil would work?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.