Iodized vs non-iodized salt

Home Forums General Discussions Iodized vs non-iodized salt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

I was reading a blog re focaccia On the KA website, and it was mentioned to use non-iodized salt (in the comment section) I always use iodized salt, so was wondering what you mostly used, and why.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by wonky.
      RiversideLen
      Participant

For table salt I always buy iodized because iodine is supposed to be beneficial. I also use kosher salt which is naturally always non-iodized.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

There are people who claim they can taste a metallic bitterness in iodized salt, but I'm not one of them.

I have wondered whether with my no-added-salt diet if I'm getting enough iodine these days. I still use a little iodized salt when baking, but for most of the things I've baked lately I've cut the salt down, in some cases by 3/4.

If a prepared food just says 'salt' in the list of ingredients, that means it isn't iodized salt.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I've always used non-iodized salt, in part because my mother, due to a thyroid issue, needed to avoid iodized salt. I use what is sold as "sea-salt."

My understanding has been that if one eats fish a couple of times a week, extra iodine is not necessary.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Living by the shore, we always had iodized salt because it was supposed to help with the salt not retaining moisture. It didn’t, we always had to add rice to the shakers. I think I still buy iodized when I buy table salt, but I mostly use Kosher.

Interesting BA, I have a thyroid issue and iodine has never been mentioned to me. Maybe because of the type.

skeptic7
              Participant

I always use iodized salt in cooking because iodine is an essential element. Mike, there are some foods that naturally includes iodine. Can you eat seafood or seaweed?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Most iodized salts have some kind of dessicant in them to keep them from clumping. (I think kosher salts do not.) My mother always put rice in the salt shaker, too.

If you think about it, nearly all salt is 'sea salt'. 🙂 I like the look of the pink Hawaiian salt, but I can't say I could taste any difference in it.

I assume it's possible to have too much iodine in one's diet as well as too little, but you don't find much about that online. There may be other thyroid issues that would lead to a need to avoid iodized salt.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Sea salt can be iodized as well. If it is, it will say so on the label.

luvpyrpom
                    Participant

I mainly cook with Kosher salt and bake with idolized salt. And when I do bake, I use less salt than what the recipe states.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I came across this article on Kosher salt today:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/what-is-kosher-salt?utm_medium=email&utm_source=TT&utm_campaign=Daily&utm_content=Editorial

If it is accurate, then we may need to re-think some of our ideas about Kosher salt.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

What I get out of it is, kosher salt is more pure, 99.83 percent sodium chloride v 95 - 97 percent (is that significant?) and that it is affordable. Not sure I understand his objections.

addendum, In reading the comments on that article I see that the author owns an artisan salt company. Alright, I get it now.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

For cooking I don't know that it makes much difference, though some people think iodized salt has a bitter or metallic taste to it.

The major salt companies advise against using kosher salt when baking because the larger crystal sizes may not dissolve and disperse in the dough properly.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Mike, I've heard people say that about iodized salt but it's not something I've noticed. Some people have more taste buds than average, so maybe some people do notice it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.