Ina’s Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Ina’s Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

BakerAunt, the feedback on Ina Garten's Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits (Food Network) has been great. I mention this, since you thought you'd try them. People react with enthusiasm when I ask if they want a cheddar biscuit with their soup or chili. I guess the cheddar part is the seller. I froze them, and it's quite easy to zap them for 2-15 second intervals in the microwave and serve.

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, the recipe makes 8 large biscuits. I couldn't eat all of one, and no one I've served has been able to eat a whole one, even though they really like them. I have only 2 left, and a friend has asked me to hold them for her. When I make them next time, I'm going to make them smaller so people can eat a whole one.

I've spent a couple of decades looking for a cheddar biscuit recipe that is a keeper. I think I've found it.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Italiancook.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I like the cheese biscuits/rolls at Red Lobster, but they have garlic in them, so my wife can't eat them.

At home, we tend to have biscuits as something you put things like creamed tuna on, so cheese would kind of get in the way.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, Italian Cook. I've printed the recipe. One of these days I will try it. I'm thinking that she must have used coarse salt, which is why the recipe was so salty. Cutting it in half for standard salt is probably the way to go.

Italiancook
          Participant

http://www.food.com/recipe/real-red-lobster-cheese-biscuits-146012

Okay, Mike, I tried to give a link to the recipe for Real Red Lobster Cheese Biscuits on food.com, but as you can see above, I goofed. Anyhow, they call for 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. I don't know if you'd like them without the garlic powder, but the recipe's there, if you want to try it.

(After I submitted this post, I discovered that a link appeared.)

Yes, BakerAunt, Ina's recipe uses kosher salt. I'll use your suggestion for table salt the next time I make them. Either in her recipe or the video, salt is put on top. I didn't do that.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Italiancook.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

If a recipe calls for kosher salt (which Morton Salt says is a bad idea when baking, but the foodies are in love with kosher salt), you're using ordinary salt, you should cut it by 1/3 anyway.

Italiancook
              Participant

I'm not surprised that Morton says kosher isn't a good idea for baking. I've made cookies from Martha Stewart's cookie book that use kosher salt and have been unhappy with the results. The kosher salt doesn't melt completely and I bite on a grain of salt when eating the cookie. Maybe I'll change to table salt when making her cookies. Other than the grains of salt, the cookies have been good.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I believe the only advantage that kosher salt has over ordinary table salt is that it isn't iodized (some chefs claim the iodine has a bitter taste), but you can buy non-iodized table salt.

Most of us get so much salt from other sources these days that we probably don't need to worry about an iodine deficiency, I know several doctors who went through their entire medical training without once seeing a patient with a goiter, one result of iodine deficiency.

I have a sea salt grinder by the stove that I use when cooking, though I use ordinary iodized table salt when baking.

Italiancook
                  Participant

My beloved step-mother had a goiter. Thus, I tend to use only iodized salt for the table and baking, unless a recipe specifies kosher salt. I've always assumed that the salt in grocery items is not iodized. I don't know why. I've never read that.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Italiancook.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm not sure whether prepared foods use iodized salt or not, either. I might have to make some inquiries.

I grew up in a small town in NW Illinois in the 50's and 60's, farmers with goiters were not unusual, especially among those who mostly ate 'off the farm' all year long.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Followup: This article seems to suggest that most processed foods do not use iodized salt.

NIH article

Perhaps the most useful information in this article is the sentence that notes that if a food manufacturer uses iodized salt, it must list it as iodized salt on the list of ingredients.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

My mother had to avoid iodized salt because of thyroid issues, so I have never used it. My assumption is that I get the necessary dose from other foods, such as fish.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

I did cheese biscuits last week, and my recipe made 16 smallish biscuit out of 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. These seemed to be a good size. People who liked cheese could always grab a second biscuit. Biscuit is stretching it slightly. I made this in a brownie pan and cut it up after baking.

I've always made an effort to use iodized salt. I think iodine is only found naturally in food from the sea like seaweed, and ocean fish; not in trout or catfish or other fresh water creatures. Goiter used to be very common in the Midwest

skeptic7
                            Participant

OOPS I was wrong, iodine is found naturally in some soils so there are foods which are rich in iodine without being connected with the sea.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Foods other than seafood that are said to be rich in iodine include:

Navy Beans
                                Bananas
                                Strawberries
                                Turkey
                                Milk and milk products, including yogurt and cheese
                                Prunes
                                Eggs
                                Green Beans
                                Corn
                                Potatoes (especially baked, other forms of cooking may leach the iodine out)

However, fruits and vegetables may not be as high in iodine if not grown in iodine-rich soils.

Source: http://bembu.com/iodine-rich-foods

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Many sea salts are naturally high in iodine and other trace minerals. Himalayan sea salt is said to be especially high in iodine. (There's the makings of a joke there.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.