History of Gingerbread

Home Forums Baking — Desserts History of Gingerbread

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Aaron--constructor of a gingerbread house this year with help from his daughter--asked about the history of gingerbread. Apparently, it is complicated, but here is an article that starts to tackle the question:

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

BA - thanks! This article is fascinating and very cool. It seems like this happens a lot with food.

I'm starting to research sufganyot which are traditional Hanukkah doughnuts. I swear they used to be made from pate choux. I even have a recipe from Duff Goldman that uses choux.

But all the recipes this year are for Dutch/German style raised doughnuts.

BTW, Violet wants to make her own pumpkin puree for pies next year. BA, I told her I was shipping her out to you to learn.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Aaron--I will post the pumpkin puree recipe in the next couple of days. Once you see how easy it is, you will wonder why you never did it before! Violet will need your help to cut the pumpkin in half horizontally. After that, she can probably handle it herself with a little supervision.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Thanks again, BA. I read through this and it is pretty interesting. Hansel and Gretel popularized gingerbread houses so that is probably a reason not to make them taste good. Keep the kids away lest they end up in a witch's oven!

I have a question about one of the recipes that uses a powder from deer antlers (red stag I believe) as a leavening agent. It says it is supposed to sit for several months but if you use a leavener that is activated by acid how long will the rising strength last? Six months seems a long time.

On his pancake episode Alton Brown says to make all your pancakes immediately before the baking soda dissipates. Mr Brown has obviously never made pancakes for teenage boys or else maybe I am supposed to keep making up small batches of batter. But at any rate wouldn't the leavening power of stag antler or baking soda for that matter be gone after six months?

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Hartshorn (ammonium bicarbonate) is heat activated, but I don't know if it would remain in dough for a long time, it tends to evaporate out of the bottle over a few months if not well sealed.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Thanks Mike. I was taught baking powder doesn't last six months in an open container so, like you, I wonder what the potency would be after six months.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The issue with ammonium bicarbonate (aka, baker's ammonia) isn't loss of potency, it is that it evaporates if not well-sealed.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Some speculation: I think the ingredient is also used in Springerle cookies. They usually are allowed to rest overnight in order for the design to set before baking. Perhaps once the ingredient is mixed in, like baking powder, it performs its function, which may or may not be about rising.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.