Great British Bake-Off Changes

Home Forums General Discussions Great British Bake-Off Changes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Just read a story that the GBBO is moving from BBC to Channel 4 at the end of the current season.

Mary Berry is leaving the show, as are Mel and Sue. Paul Hollywood is apparently staying.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

One of the web site I visit periodically is the London Guardian, just to get the British perspective on things. (I used to use the Times, but they've installed a paywall with no freebies.)

Anyway, the Guardian has several stories running about the announced move of GBBO to Channel 4, apparently this is somewhat controversial. At least one critic has said it will kill the show. I tend to agree that losing Mary, Mel and Sue will be a problem, Paul Hollywood may be a great baker and a fair but not great cookbook author (I have one of his books, I'm not in a hurry to get others), but he has most of the personality and warmth of a lump of bread dough.

navlys
        Participant

Is channel 4 a channel we will be able to get in the states? Di

BakerAunt
          Participant

I agee with Mike that losing Mary, Mel, and Sue will hurt the program. I wonder if they are planning on bringing in another co-host, or if Paul Hollywood is supposed to carry it alone. I have one of his cookbooks, and right before the Baking Circle was closed, I blogged about the problems I had with one of the recipes. I would have to change it around to get it to work, and there are so many other recipes out there that do work, I have not bothered with it or any of his other recipes.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I got the impression that the producers made the deal without consulting the principals. And, there seems to be enough agitation among the public to attempt to see if there is some way for it to stay at the BEEB" somehow, I don't think that will happen. I don't see how they can make it work without Mary, Mel and Sue - they are such a big piece of the whole thing.

I've been streaming the latest one online. They have given them much bigger challenges and some very talented bakers have already gone home. There doesn't seem to be the drama of past years which is actually a refreshing change.

Anvils, Channel 4 is an independent British Channel which everyone can watch and they have advertising. The BBC is supported by the TV licensing fee which every household with a tv pays per year. I can't remember if there is a scale or a flat fee.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.