Funny Cake

Home Forums Recipes Funny Cake

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

Funny Cake

This is a great little recipe found in one of my very first 4-H books way back in the late 50's. For absolutely wonderful chocolate cupcakes, I always double the recipe and make 24 cupcakes. I have made these cupcakes for 40 years for my husband's school kids and they inhale them and even eat the 'cupcake papers' they are so good!

Funny Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
      1 cup sugar
      1/4-1/3 cup cocoa
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. vinegar (I use 2-3 tsps. vinegar)
      1 tsp. vanilla
      1/3 cup oil
      1 cup cold water

Sift flour, sugar, cocoa and salt into the pan (7 x 11), make 3 holes in dry ingredients for vanilla, vinegar and soda and add these items in the 'holes.' Add oil and cold water and stir up well right in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 min. Oven should be pre-heated before mixing up cake.

I always make 24 cupcakes from double the recipe and bake for 22 min. at 350 degrees. These are so moist and good...everyone raves about them being the best chocolate cake they ever ate.

Then, I make home-made cream cheese frosting to top them off. I use butter/vanilla flavoring in the frosting.

They require no eggs which is good for kids working with them as salmonella is not an issue and the bowl can be licked without worries!! Also good for egg allergy problems.

I mix the batter up in a bowl rather than the pan as the recipe states to do.

Kids, young and old alike, will love these as cake or cupcakes!

Spread the word
      kimbob
      Participant

That's it! I searched this site for wacky cake instead of funny cake. 😁 Thank you so much, swirth! Cake tastes great.

S_Wirth
        Participant

Glad you like it!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

As I noted in the other thread, with this recipe you shouldn't use aluminum foil to cover the cake, the acid from the vinegar will eat right through it in a few hours. May not be all that good on a metal pan, either, but we usually make it in a glass 8x8 pan anyway.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.