Finally finished.

Home Forums Member News Finally finished.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Janiebakes
    Participant

Three identical flower girl dress for the nieces of the bride. Forty five pieces of fabric and the lace overlay, french seams, lace motif re-applique and a very sad moment when a too hot iron melted the lace netting on the bodice of a dress. I am done and FedEx is taking over. Thank heavens I stopped myself from offering to make vests for the ring bearers.

20210810_194948-4flowergirl

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

What a darling dress, Janiebakes! You have superb sewing skills!

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Janiebakes the dress is absolutely beautiful,very nice you have a talent,the three little ones will be darling.

chocomouse
          Participant

What a beautiful dress! Perfect choice of fabric pattern for a flower girl's dress.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Oh my Janiebakes - your sewing skills are exquisite! such a perfect young girl dress. I hope you are very proud of yourself for a job well done and for also knowing when to say no - that can be hard sometimes

skeptic7
              Participant

That is splendid!! Are the flowers appliqued on? And you did THREE of them? One dress would be a masterpiece. Were they all the same sizes? What part are you most proud of?

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My wife was a costume major at Northwestern when we met, she says a French seam was probably unnecessary.

kimbob
                  Participant

Janiebakes, what lovely dresses! I sew very little but whatever you did, french seams and all, came out beautiful!! I'm sure the french seams were NECESSARY for the overall outcome. Great job!

Janiebakes
                    Participant

Thank you everyone. It has been a long time since I did this kind of sewing. I do a lot of quilts because you don't have to make alterations on a quilt. Skeptic, only some of the butterflies are appliqued on. The girls are little and the repeat on the fabric is 12 inches and that left some gaps on the front and back of the tops. Cut out some butterflies and sewed them into the gaps. Thanks Kimbob, I felt I needed to use french seams because I don't have a serger and I wanted a clean finish on everything on the inside. The bodice is lined so it is sewn right side of fabric together then turned outside in so the seams are hidden. Hand finished at the waist and zipper. Mike, I can only imagine how much fun a costume major must be. I was one of the last classes that had home ec as a requirement. We made dull useful things like aprons, gym bags and A line dresses.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

The props shop was more interesting than the costume shop, at least to me. But I was an engineering major.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.