DvdLee’s Biscuit recipe

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle DvdLee’s Biscuit recipe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

DvdLee's Biscuit recipe
      twin2
      When I woke up this morning I realized that the only thing I wanted to put in my mouth for breakfast was one of DvdLee and knead2quilt's wonderful biscuits. I made them up and enjoyed them heartily with my coffee and some Smucker's Michigan Tart Red Cherry jam and Orange Marmalade. Oh, my gosh. They are still the best ever biscuits!!! Hello to all you old timers who may remember me. It's been a while since I visited this site or posted anything and I don't recognize many of the names any more. Blessings on all of you wonderful cooks and bakers. We make the world a better place for our friends and families.
      badge posted by: twin2 on February 20, 2015 at 1:09 pm in General discussions
      share on: Twitter, Facebook
      Subscribe to: This post
      REPLIES TO THIS DISCUSSION
      reply by: cwcdesign on February 23, 2015 at 8:08 am
      cwcdesign
      OK DL, you can't drop a meal like crockpot ranch buffalo chicken and not share the recipe. It sounds like it would be a hit in my family and I need a couple more crockpot recipes that aren't stew. N doesn't like stew 🙁
      -
      And, welcome back twin2. I'm one of the newer members who have heard the long-timers reminisce about your recipes.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on February 23, 2015 at 7:35 am
      dachshundlady
      I hadn't made your kaiser rolls in a while, twin2, so I had no "old dough". But I made them yesterday to go with crock pot buffalo ranch chicken and both were great. Now I have a piece of old dough in the fridge for next time!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on February 23, 2015 at 5:37 am
      Mrs Cindy
      Twin2, welcome back! Sometimes finding the courage, deep within, to do the things we need to do is the hardest decision we ever have to make. I know from personal experience how difficult this last few years have been for you. I'm glad to hear you are coming out of the tunnel from the opposite end.
      Here's praying for a complete recovery from your cancer and many, many, more years of living close to and enjoying your little granddaughter and all your family.
      Please come back to the circle often. There is an abundance of love and support right here for all the down and gloomy days. Flour power, and His love, really works!
      ~Cindy
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on February 23, 2015 at 5:29 am
      Mrs Cindy
      Yes! Listed as his Rustic Lentil Soup. It's one of the best soups ever. I've been making a batch every six weeks or so for TS's lunch. He swore he wouldn't eat beans of any kind, "and that includes those little lentil things!" That was three years ago. It's his favorite soup.
      ~Cindy
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Rascals1 on February 23, 2015 at 1:41 am
      Rascals1
      I made the biscuits today dachshundlady they are good, with butter and honey, or what ever you put on them. You will enjoy them.
      Cindy is the lentil soup recipe on here I'd like to try that also.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: twin2 on February 22, 2015 at 11:04 pm
      twin2
      Thanks, everyone, for the greetings and memories! I think of you people more than you know. Yes, I did move back to my beloved Michigan. Finally got the courage to end a really bad marriage and begin life over again with the object of my personal happiness and health in mind. I just love southwestern Michigan and live near my son and little granddaughter now. I have been having some health issues (aren't we all) this year, but thanks to a wonderful team of doctors and the support of a few wonderful friends and family, I seem to have licked cancer. Too early for a completely positive report, but all the news is good so far. Life is good and God answers our prayers.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on February 22, 2015 at 7:46 am
      Mrs Cindy
      deleted post because I'm an idiot!!!
      ~C
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: dachshundlady on February 22, 2015 at 7:35 am
      dachshundlady
      Twin2, I was just thinking of you the other day! I still love your kaiser rolls. And your baking powder stollen recipe is a favorite. Didn't you move to Michigan or Minnesota? So glad to have you back and hope you'll check in with us. I have never tried David's biscuits but will have to now. ~Mary Ann
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on February 21, 2015 at 8:48 pm
      Mrs Cindy
      Annzie, I make David's Rustic Lentil Soup every six weeks. Every time I make it, it feels like David is right there, at my right shoulder, guiding me, talking me through it. Since this is the soup TS eats every single day for lunch, I'm careful to never run out. I put at least six 2 quart containers in the freezer. TS has found Black Beluga Lentils he orders for me in 10 pound packages. It takes a while to use them, but they make wonderful side dishes. I really love all of David's recipes. It's such a joy reading through them. It brings him to life!
      ~Cindy
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: annzie on February 21, 2015 at 10:41 am
      annzie
      Oh my, such a treat to see this 'blast from the past'! Double-blast, with the reference to DvdLee. Love his recipes! A favorite, which was mentioned fairly recently (or is it that I'm getting old and forgetful?) is his Lentil Soup, using the Petit Green French Lentils. And because of him, I STILL mail-order bacon (occasionally,but it's just THE best!) from Burger's Smokehouse in California, MO. Their sliced ham shanks, too, are a staple in our household.
      Yes, the northeast is COLD, but hey, it's winter. And all this snow? It's 'Poor Man's Fertilizer'. I DO worry about those in the more southern states who are even colder than we are here in Maine!
      Do visit again, Twin2!!!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mrs Cindy on February 21, 2015 at 5:13 am
      Mrs Cindy
      So good to see you back here again, twin2, you've been missed. There are still some of us oldies, but goodies around, as well as some really great newbies. This is still one of the best baking forums on the Internet.
      Again, glad you dropped in, come back anytime, or, just sit here a spell and enjoy your biscuits and coffee.
      ~Cindy
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on February 20, 2015 at 11:25 pm
      Mike Nolan
      I've been looking at another buttermilk biscuit recipe, but I like the proportions in David's recipe better (and it certainly comes well-recommended here), so I made David's biscuits tonight, they went well with honey and later with creamed tuna. I think I may have over-baked them by about 20 seconds, I'll know better next time. I used a 2 1/2 inch cutter, next time I think I'll make them more like 2" or 1 3/4".
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: berwynbaker on February 20, 2015 at 8:13 pm
      berwynbaker
      twin2 good to see you again. Hope life has been treating you well. BB
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: bakeraunt on February 20, 2015 at 7:18 pm
      bakeraunt
      Thank you, Swirth!
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Livingwell on February 20, 2015 at 4:19 pm
      Livingwell
      Saved for reference.
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on February 20, 2015 at 2:21 pm
      swirth
      DvdLee's biscuit recipe is NOT in his recipes!
      -
      Here is his authentic recipe for different flour quantities from a biscuit lesson he did for a BC member in SF, CA...I copied all of this from the oldBC long ago:
      -
      reply by: swirth on May 13, 2013 at 7:56 am
      -
      Here is the main part of that oldBC thread with DvdLee's recipe for southern biscuits...I'd copied this from that oldBC thread:
      -
      Reply by swirth on October 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm KAF did some revisions to DvdLee's original biscuit recipe but here is his main recipe from the oldBC:
      -
      7/2/2004
      DvdLee
      Forgot to add the basic biscuit ratio we used.
      For each cup of White Lily Flour OR 3/4 cup bleached Gold Medal + 1/4 cup Cake Flour:
      1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
      1/8 teaspoon baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      2-2 & 1/2 Tablespoons butter (or 50/50 shortening/butter)
      1/3 cup buttermilk
      --------
      So for a 2 cup recipe you'd have:
      2 cups White Lily OR 1 & 1/2 cups AP + 1/2 cup cake flour
      1 Tablespoon baking powder
      1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      4-5 Tablespoons butter
      2/3 cup buttermilk
      (continue to multiply the ratio proportions to increase the amount of biscuit dough)
      ------------
      Preheat oven to 450F.
      Blend all flour/dry ingredients together until well mixed.
      Cut fat into flour until you can't feel any 'lumps' of butter -- but if you compress the flour it will almost hold together.
      Add the buttermilk in one fell swoop and gently mix together (treat it like a muffin batter, mix as little as possible -- a dough whisk is GREAT for this)
      Turn onto a floured counter - gently press the dough together using the motions of kneading -- but not as much pressure. The dough will come together. Press the dough out until its around 1/2" - 2/3" inch thick. Cut into rounds. Put on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes (you should check on them after 13 minutes -- they will more than likely take a little longer -- but 13 minutes is when you need to take a peek!)
      You can brush the tops with sweet milk, butter or nothing at all. Presonal pref. here.
      --------------------------
      DvdLee had visited K2Q in SF, CA when he was there for his transplant surgery and they got together for a biscuit making lesson...and the above recipe(s) were used in their lesson.
      Hope this helps you, beabaker! Good to see you here!
      -----------------------------------
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: swirth on February 20, 2015 at 2:12 pm
      swirth
      bakeraunt...here you go for the KAF version:
      -
      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/david-lees-biscuits-perfect-for-s...
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: Mike Nolan on February 20, 2015 at 2:12 pm
      Mike Nolan
      David's recipes can be found here: http://community.kingarthurflour.com/users/dvdlee
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: bakeraunt on February 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm
      bakeraunt
      Welcome twin2 from one of the newbies. Where can I find this wondrous recipe?
      REPLY TO THIS COMMENT
      reply by: kathyd on February 20, 2015 at 1:55 pm
      kathyd
      Well Twin2 nice to see you around. I don't visit as often as I should but when I saw the post and the reference to Dvdlee I just had to poke my nose in here. I have never made his biscuits but I should because I'm a biscuit girl for sure. My favorite recipe from him is his Tomato Soup. Lots of work but such a good soup. Again, welcome back and check in when you can. There are still some of the ol'gang that hang around still!
      Enjoy your weekend,
      KathyD

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Thanks for posting this one, rottiedogs. Somehow it caught my eye today. Since I'm a New Englander living in the land of biscuits (coastal GA), proper biscuits are a big deal, so I'm going to have to try these. Now, I have to get some round cookies cutters and a new pastry blender.

A question for anyone who's made these. Can you use salted butter? And, if so, would you reduce the salt? The reason I ask this is that Harris Teeter carries the most amazing Amish butter (compares favorably to KerryGold and other European butters) but so far it only comes salted and I have a large block in the fridge.

Thanks!

S_Wirth
        Participant

PJH said many years ago that if you have unsalted and need salted, add 1/4 teaspoon salt per stick of butter...so since you have salted butter, you could reduce the recipe salt using this info but I would not reduce the recipe salt as biscuits are kinda blah anyway and the salt would help them to have more flavor.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.