Daily Quiz for December 15, 2019

Home Forums Restaurants and Books, news and reviews Daily Quiz for December 15, 2019

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Where does the word ‘vermouth’ come from?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for December 15, 2019]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it, in spite of studying that language for five years. Why did my teachers not cover liquor?

RiversideLen
        Participant

BakerAunt, they never cover the important stuff!

I came close but missed it too.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've been studying French on DuoLingo for around 3 years, my wife razzed me for the first year or so because they hadn't covered how to ask where the bathroom is yet. (I will note that they've redone many of the lessons since I started and 'Où est les toilettes' is covered sooner than it was when I started.)

BakerAunt
            Participant

My husband is studying by watching and reading German news online. We occasionally use some of the words so that the dog does not know what we are talking about. However, she now knows that Kase is cheese, so we've had to switch to Fromage.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Dogs and cats understand a lot of words, more than most pet owners believe. We've got our security system and doors set so that they play a message that can be heard in other rooms when they're opened. We had a cat who recognized several of the messages and would head towards that door to be let out, even if he was on another floor. And all of our cats over the years recognized the messages for the garage overhead doors and would head towards the back hall to greet whoever was coming home.

chocomouse
                Participant

When we lived in Germany, my husband spent a lot of time with the local Jagermeister, (or "hunt master" which we might interpret as forest ranger) who also raised hunting dogs and entered them in competitions. My husband had to learn the German commands for when he showed the dogs. Today, my son is a K-9 officer, and he uses mostly German language to communicate with his shepherds and malinois (the family pets as well as the working dogs).

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I guessed right.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.