Cupcakes are out — Cookies are in!

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Cupcakes are out — Cookies are in!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

In the last few years, around a half dozen cookie shops have opened in Lincoln, most of them are franchise operations like Goodly Cookies and the Warm Cookie Company. Crumbl cookies is the latest to set up shop here.

Apparently the cupcake craze has been replaced by the cookie craze.

Since prices per cookie are usually in the $3 range, sometimes higher, it is probably more profitable than bread baking. (Admittedly they aren't small cookies.)

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Cookies satisfy better than cupcakes because they have "chew" to them. A large cookie is also more easily shared by breaking off a piece.

I'll have to look online to see if the cookie craze has hit South Bend. My town is too small to support either establishment. At the farmers' market, I mostly see pies, cakes, and muffins, with the occasional M&M cookies.

chocomouse
        Participant

Yes, the cookie craze is alive and well in northern New England. We stopped at Crumbl on our way home from Maine on Monday. People are thrilled with Crumbl! Me? Nope. My cookies are just as good, mostly better in flavor and texture, and a lot cheaper even when made with top quality ingredients. The main difference is mine look home-made; they're not perfect. Fine - I even eat the funny lookin ones.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The Crumbl will be on the other side of town, by Whole Foods, and the fact that several of their varieties of cookies seem a bit weird (like caramel corn or cornbread) doesn't make me excited to go there.

Crumbl appears to have just opened a location in South Bend, but I don't see other obvious chains there.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Weird varieties of cookies are probably thought to be a selling point since customers would probably not bake them at home. Of course, there are LOTS of people who do not bake anything at home.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

On the Kids' Baking Championship on they had "Over the Top Cookies". First they wrecked cupcakes, then doughnuts, then cookies.

There is something to be said for a simple, well made, chocolate chip cookie. Or oatmeal cookie. Or, what seems to have become our family cookie, molasses (even though Mom called them ginger snaps).

As Choco says, if they're made with good ingredients they will taste good. Who needs all this junk on top of them.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

BLJ's molasses cookies are something I haven't made in a while, but they're really good. We've been on a peanut butter cookie kick lately.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

At work we sell giant cookies from the in-house bakery - choc chip is the best seller. The other cookies we get from them are red velvet, peanut butter with Reese's Cup, oatmeal raisin, sugar and mudslide (sort of a brownie in cookie form with chopped pecans) and usually 1 or 2 COW (cookie of the week). They are good sometimes, not so good others, but the guests don't seem to mind - they rave about them. Mine are better

aaronatthedoublef
                    Participant

Add croissants to this list. Here in southern NE (I'm including Boston) bakers can't just leave a croissant alone. They load them up with all sorts of stuff. The most extreme I've seen was a baker who makes beautiful, wonderful, croissants fill them with pastry cream with fruity Pebbles in them for Pride Month. There is something to be said for simplicity and purity and a plain croissant is just wonderful and a cup of good coffee.

The sad part is his plain croissants are great.

Most of the bakeries I know have crappy cookies. The same baker who made the fruity pebble croissants said it is because he has to make cookies and doesn't really care about them. But they are the worst item he sells.

If you load up a cookie with peanut butter cups and buttercream and all this stuff then
                      you can hide a lot of mediocrity.

Good cookies just don't need all this junk.

navlys
                      Participant

My husband ordered the newly introduced Girl Scout cookies: toffee -tactic ( gluten free) and raspberry something. The raspberry cookies never arrived. The toffee cookies were $6 for a 6.7 oz box and the raspberry cookies were only going to be $5. Maybe the raspberry cookies aren't gluten free - not that we care. We haven't tried the toffee cookies made with rice flour and 70 calories each! Has anyone tried these?

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

There used to be a Girl Scout who stopped by our house every year, but I guess she grew up and nobody else in the troop wanted to work our street.

So unless I see a group selling cookies at one of the local grocery stores or WalMart, I won't have a chance to buy any Girl Scout cookies again this year.

They discontinued one of our favorite cookies, the chocolate covered shortbread 'Thank You' cookies. My wife is allergic to raspberries, so we won't be trying that new one.

But it seems like they've fallen into the new strange flavor trap as well.

We bought some frozen Otis Spunkmeyer cookie dough balls from a neighbor's son, they were really disappointing when we baked them.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I'm not sure the Girl Scouts go door to door anymore, probably as a safety issue. A lot of people also do not know their neighbors. Girl Scout cookies are more likely to be sold outside of stores or by parents who take the order forms to work. I did a LOT of door-to-door cookie selling as a Girl Scout, but then my mother was Cookie Chair, I think for two years running, and when other troop members fell short in selling, she sent us out--and that was before GS gave prizes for how much you sold!

I haven't bought Girl Scout cookies in years, especially after I read the ingredient label!

cwcdesign
                            Participant

A friend of mine's daughter is a Girl Scout this year so I bought some for the first time in ages. The thin mints are awful - they are not thin and they tasted stale to me - not at all like the cookies of old - the Samoas were better. We have one box of thin mints in the freezer- we will probably use them for a pie crust.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Copycat.com today posted a recipe for Crumbl sugar cookies with the pink icing - if anyone is interested. I won't be making them! However, my sister and I stopped at the Crumbl store near Kittery ME last week on our way home. She bought cookies to share with her office.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

See my comments on regional GS cookie differences in the other thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.