Crackers with butter?

Home Forums Baking — Savory Crackers with butter?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

I looked to see if there was an actual cracker thread, but couldn’t find one.
      BA and Aaron, do you think I could make the KAF cheese crackers with butter instead of shortening since I don’t have any shortening? Couldn’t find any answers to that on KAF. I understand that they might spread more, but would it be a major problem or could I make adjustments to the other ingredients- I’d use AP and probably some WWW
      Thanks!

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Substituting butter for shortening get tricky, because shortening is all fat and butter is 20% water, and butter is a fat that melts at a lower temperature, too.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

BA's crackers are made with butter. BA has subbed in some oil for some of the butter. But they use all butter in the original recipe here. They also use white whole wheat but I am using red whole wheat as that is what I have.

I can't find my copy of the recipe otherwise I would give you the notes BA gave me.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Thanks. I’ll compare the amounts of the ingredients in both to see where o can adapt. Leaving my starter in the fridge for now - not quite ready to focus on it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Cwcdesign--I bake the KABC (it still sounds like a TV station!) Whole Wheat Sourdough Crackers and add cheese powder. I replaced all of the butter with canola oil. As I always make a double recipe, that means 1/3 cup oil for 1/2 cup butter. I added the cheese powder, some milk powder, some flax meal, The variable is the thickness of the starter. The oil crackers were easier to roll out than the butter ones (no waiting for the dough to soften up). They make a nice crispy cracker.

I find that the crackers work best with a neutral oil. I use canola in the dough, but I brush the crackers with grapeseed oil, since I felt that canola brushed on top left an after taste.

As shortening has no water, you might want either to hold back a bit of the flour or else use a little more of the starter to compensate.

I'm currently baking my crackers using the convection feature on my oven, and baking them slightly above the center. I bake for 6 minutes at 375F convection, then turn the sheet around for another six minutes. You will need to figure out what works best in your oven.

cwcdesign
              Participant

Thanks BA - I was planning on trying the cheese crackers that use yeast, but no starter. But I will look at the amount of liquid and maybe hold some back

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.