Covid-19: It Continues

Home Forums General Discussions Covid-19: It Continues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We were so hopeful near the end of the previous thread (Covid-19: The Next Six Months). We had our vaccinations and had thought we could ditch our masks. Now the masks are returning, and even the vaccinated can still catch and transmit the Delta variant. As I said on that thread, it is time for a part 3. Sigh.

It's deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra would say. So, here is a new thread where we can continue to chronicle our experiences.

We have family coming here in September--my stepdaughter from California, and my younger stepson, and possibly his girlfriend, from Colorado. We think that we can do that safely, as everyone is vaccinated. However, my husband's cousins reunion is in October. We had to cancel it two years ago due to the virus and lost our deposit. We thought it would be safe to have this year, since everyone is vaccinated. I hope that we do not have to cancel--and lose our deposit--yet again.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

My sister was in a rehab nursing home and then was transferred to the nursing home for 100 days.I've been going to see her every week but found out today they are on lockdown no more visitation until further notice due to Covid.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I'm so sorry Joan - that is really difficult. Prayers for you and your sister.

Washington Post said something like 440,000 people got their first vaccinations last week. That means we finally hit the 70% goal set for July 4th. Just think, if everyone had gotten them then, we probably wouldn't be in this mess now.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm not so sure a 70% goal, or ANY specific percentage goal, is all that relevant any more. (And note, that number did NOT come from the epidemiologists!) The Delta variant is said to be 5 times more communicable than the earlier variants, and while the vaccine seems to have some effectiveness against it, both in terms of preventing and ameliorating infections, there seems to be a growing concern that vaccinated people can be spreading a virus they don't know they've got.

I expect before the end of the year we'll start seeing programs to get booster shots to fully vaccinated people (that's already beginning in other countries), and that may become an 'every six months' sort of thing for some years to come.

BakerAunt
            Participant

The 70% was never medical but logistical. It worked in that the capacity to give the vaccine to that percentage was available. That so many people would be so slow to get vaccinated was surprising to me.

CWCdesign has a point in that if people had been willing to follow the mask guidelines and to get the vaccine, the Delta variant might not have gotten the foothold that is leading to a new surge.

That boosters might be required is not a surprise, since other vaccines also require boosters.

cwcdesign
              Participant

We do get a flu shot every year

My physical therapist’s company never stopped requiring masks. Went to pick out my new glasses today and was told the whole office had never stopped either - eye doctors, surgeries and buying glasses. Interesting observation - most of the display cases were empty. I asked if it had to do with supply chains and it does, materials for making them etc. I have to allow up to 4 weeks to get my new glasses. I laughed and told the tech it was a good thing I didn’t wait for the sale in two weeks

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by cwcdesign.
                chocomouse
                Participant

I'm feeling a bit angry about the situation we are in now. For over a year, I (and many others) followed the recommendations of the CDC. I went grocery shopping every other week, I went to most medical appointments (cancelled one and did one by phone). I didn't see my children or grandchildren. I saw only my husband, my sister a couple of times, and my niece standing in an empty parking lot. I wore a mask (and I have breathing issues), used hand sanitizer and social distancing when I did go out. I got both doses of Moderna, as soon as I could sign up. Some people (a lot of people?) did not. So I am back to wearing a mask, avoiding crowds, etc. I (and many others who "followed the rules") are having a lot of the joy taken out of our lives because some will not play by the rules. I'm whining, I know, sorry, but we suffer because of those people.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I would not call it whining, Chocomouse. You said what many of us are thinking as well.

This article helps contextualize where we are at in terms of the pandemic:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/for-many-the-belated-realization-that-covid-will-be-a-long-war-sparks-anger-and-denial

As Mike noted, it was always going to be a longer war on the virus, even with people doing everything right. Not doing everything right likely extended that time frame.

I thought that the CDC should have kept the mask guidelines in place until an area had a certain percentage of vaccinations. Of course, we are dealing with new data, and guidance has to change as the data suggest.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

'Follow the science' was never anyone's policy, in part because science had (and still has) only at best partial answers.

But a whole lot of 'social re-engineering' has taken place, in the guise of 'following the science'. And it is far from clear that it worked, at least against the virus.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Home canning supplies seem to be in short supply, just as they were last year. I had stocked up on lids a few years back, so no problem there. I am running short on 4 oz. and 8 oz. jars for jam. I looked in Walmart last week and found none. Either there has been an increase in the number of people canning or there are a lot of canning jars from last year gathering dust in people's storage units.

I have one more jam session planned, and I will likely use at least one pint jar, since I am running short on the 8 oz. ones.

kimbob
                        Participant

Needless to say, I'm not happy, either. Mom ended up in the hospital June 27th and July 1st was transferred to a rehab/nursing home. She will be staying there long term because I can't provide a safe enough environment here. She fell 3 times the week she ended up in the hospital. Breaks my heart but she can't get around on her own anymore. Between her, taking care of my husband and the dog, I'm fried. Anyway, Tmi! Point is, visiting hours are very short and only certain days. Wearing a mask and now the nursing home is talking about wearing a mask and a face shield. This nursing home is the only one in the county that had no covid cases and I can see why. Thank goodness. I wish all these idiot people would get vaccinated!!

cwcdesign
                          Participant

Not at all TMI, Kimbob - thanks for sharing. I'm sorry you find your family in this position and hope all is well soon. I'm glad you found a safe place for your mom - it's hard - I've been there.

Take care of yourself! Find something small you love to do - walk with the dog, sit outside with a cup of tea and a book. Prayers and hugs for you.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Kimbob--You did the best that you could for as long as you could. For the majority of people with Alzheimer's or dementia, staying at home with family and caregivers is not possible after a certain point. We went through this with my husband's mother, a friend and her father went through it with her mother, and another friend went through it with her husband. You did what you could as long as you could. I am glad you were able to find a safe place for your mom, and I am glad that you can still visit her.

kimbob
                              Participant

Thanks, cwcdesign and BakerAunt. After taking care of her here for 3 1/2 years, her Parkinson's is getting worse physically and mentally. Mom has a lot of hallucinations. She does come out with some amusing stories. One was that she's got a 2nd husband named Don and mom told me 'it's complicated'. Lol. I have a step daddy!! The food is really good there, thank God. I try to be there for lunch with her. She had lemon pepper cod last week. She told me Steve 🤷‍♀️ caught it and she filleted it. 😊 so, I go and listen to her stories about people she sees there who aren't there. She told me to call my grandmother (her mother who died in 2000) to tell her what's going on. Then mom asked me when was the last time I talked to her. Um, 21 years ago!? It's sad and depressing and I'm working on getting over the guilt. I take the dog to the park twice a day which is relaxing. They're taking good care of her. I'm happy I got her into one of the better nursing homes.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Kimbob my prayers go out to you and your mom,I truly understand how you feel.We took care of my Dad for 3 years and after him the next year my husbands mother and father.It is very demanding and stressful as no one knows until they go through this.So glad your mom is in a good home.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.