Covid-19: It Continues

Home Forums General Discussions Covid-19: It Continues

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Thanks, Joan. Yeah, until you're a caregiver you have no clue. My bro and sil took mom for 12 days in April and called me constantly. They lived my life for 12 days out of the 3.5 years I took care of mom. My brother said he didn't know how I did it. My mantra is keep paddling and take 1 day at a time. And pray you live 1 day longer than the people you have to care for.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Kimbob and everybody said Amen!

kimbob
        Participant

Oh, Joan, I just read your post about your sister! I hope you get to see her soon or at least be able to talk on the phone. This whole thing sucks bigtime!!

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Hopefully I'll get to see my sister through a glass window with a speaker soon. I do call her two or three times a day and that keeps her as upbeat as she can get.She is getting weaker and the oxygen isn't helping very much.Just getting up and walking 4 ft to the bathroom or getting dressed she's hardly able to breathe.

skeptic7
            Participant

Joan, hope your sister gets better.

kimbob
              Participant

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/coronavirus-antibodies-detected-us-wild-deer-180978366

Covid found in white tail deer!

I used to see a lot of deer in my yard and surrounding area. Wasting disease is killing them. Awful.

chocomouse
                Participant

We've cancelled our two-week trip to the midwest, making a very last minute decision the night before we were to leave. The latest data on the Covid surge along with some extreme new restrictions helped us to decide to stay home where it is a bit safer.

And then today our AC stopped working. We have a heat pump with three wall units. We were able to connect with the company's emergency technician who located the problem, but needs to order a part on Monday. I'm so glad this didn't happen until today, as the weather is changing and the temperatures dropping. The last three days have been 94, 96, and 96, with humidity ranging from 80-99%. And, we had stored our old window AC in the basement, so my husband hauled that out and we have it running. However, it is a smaller btu unit, so probably would not handle the higher temps effectively.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I think that you made a wise decision to avoid the Midwest right now, Chocomouse. Cases in Indiana are rising very fast. My sister in Springfield, MO told me it has been very bad there. She knows at least two vaccinated people who still contracted Covid-19's Delta, and while they were not horribly sick, they were still sick.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I'm doubly glad we did not go to Michigan as planned, as we would be traveling back home through NY and MA in Henri's likely path of wind and heavy rain. We're still without our heat pump and have only the one old window AC. We were told that the ships are lined up in port on the west coast, loaded with the equipment and parts -- but there is no one to unload them. So we wait another few weeks, hoping. I'm back to staying at home, going out only for groceries, and wearing a mask. I'm fully vaccinated since last winter, and Vermont is one of the safest places to be, but I'm trying to stay healthy and also help out those who are not able to be vaccinated. I'm finding that about half of all shoppers and employees are once again wearing masks here.

skeptic7
                      Participant

Vermont is always being used as the "good" stage in comparison to South Dakota. They have the same size population and South Dakota has many more casulties. The difference is mainly the government of South Dakota is assuming that if they ignore the disease, and the disease will ignore them in turn. The numbers show that that didn't work.
                        I'm in Northern Virginia, most people are wearing masks but some aren't. I am still wearing a mask in all public spaces. I wish everyone would wear a mask, it seems so much safer.
                        I hope there isn't much damage from Henri. It seems to be following the same path as the 1938 New England Hurricane.

cwcdesign
                        Participant

Fortunately at this point not quite the same as 38. 38 went right up Buzzards Bay and impacted my home town with storm surge 13’ high over the dock where I grew up. My brother who still lives there says it’s going west and will probably affect our sister in NJ more - it looks like it will split the difference between 38 and Irma

BakerAunt
                          Participant

In our area of north-central Indiana, only some of the customers wear masks. CVS employees began wearing them again weeks ago, but the local grocery store workers have not. My husband and I have opted for masks in stores, and we will not be attending any group events. I've not masked at the outdoor farmer's market, but it has not been very crowded.

Although local reports are that 48% of the county is vaccinated, The Washington Post statistics for our county are 38%, and that has hardly moved over the past months. In the past week, the number of new cases was 139, as opposed to 61 the previous week, and I am uncertain about how much testing had been occurring. Our school district still thinks it can get by without masks in the classroom, although this variant is more transmissible than what we were dealing with last year. The county health director recommended masks in schools, but each district makes its own decisions.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

I meant to say Irene not Irma.

We've been back to wearing masks at work for several weeks now - after I got back from the retail mart in Atlanta - very thankful that that was earlier in July - my coworker and I had our masks and avoided elevators at all costs - thankfully there are escalators. We also avoided crowded show rooms.

The counties just south and north of us started school and have already gone back to remote learning. Our county, not yet. Our numbers are going up as well. Supposedly more people are getting vaccines, but not enough, IMHO.

We had a guest come in the other day and said she couldn't wait til things got back to normal. But, it won't be the same - I just hope the new normal is better.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

A too true bit of humor from the comics:

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2021/08/24

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

It's like the game we used to play as kids: Red light! Green light!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.