Citrus Rind for High Fiber Bread?

Home Forums General Discussions Citrus Rind for High Fiber Bread?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I read this story from Food and Wine. I'm not sure why the writer is so excited. There is an easy way to make high fiber bread: use whole grains!

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/bread-fiber-citrus-peel-study?did=446054-20191017&utm_campaign=faw-the-dish_newsletter&utm_source=foodandwine.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=101719&cid=446054&mid=25558953593

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I think the point was that by using citrus rind that would otherwise be thrown out (and hopefully composted), they'd be getting some additional food benefit from it.

We already put things like orange zest in our breads, so adding some citrus flavor isn't a total turnoff. (The idea of a sandwich that tastes like a margarita is another issue, though.)

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Right. Produce waste has become a huge issue in the US. We have so much abundance that if something is slightly bruised we throw it away even if it is still good. But Mike's also right that organic waste can be used for compost. But if you in big cities it might be a little harder if you live in a place without a yard. Also, I grew up in a row house with a small yard and one of our neighbors had a compost heap that we ALL could smell. He was not very popular.

How about tortillas that taste like a margarita? Especially for those who don't drink.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Hy Vee stores in the area have an 'irregulars' area in their produce department, for produce that isn't bad but isn't pretty enough for the regular bin.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My biggest concern over adding citrus rind to flour is that it tends to be bitter.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Our local grocery has a section for produce that is less than perfect. I always check and sometimes find items that I can use. We also like the marked down bananas, especially since when we buy regular (priced too high, IMHO), we have to wait a day or two for them to ripen more.

I use grated orange zest in some of my specialty breads.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

It appears to me that people will accept flaws in fruits and vegetables they buy at produce stands and farmer's markets that they wouldn't buy in a grocery store. And often at a higher price.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.