Browned Butter

Home Forums General Discussions Browned Butter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I know that Aaron was experimenting with browned butter in baking last week. P.J. Hamel just did a blog on browned butter on the KAF website:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2020/01/08/brown-butter?go=EC200112_B1&trk_msg=QODUAND5JEA4RDUJS49PEB407C&trk_contact=76QMPS4J1FELGVOK858GLJTEC8&trk_sid=0VP7LH3GAT5K434QIK5GSOFVG8&utm_source=ltk_master&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Blog%3a+Brown+Butter%3a+How+to+make+your+buttery+baked+goods+even+better+Read+More&utm_campaign=sunday&utm_content=ec200112-srr-skillet

My mouth will have to water from afar, as I'm only allowing miniscule amounts into my baking due to my cholesterol issue.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

My first knowledge of browned butter happened about ten years ago. I needed a quick dessert to make on the morning of a luncheon. I hadn't had time to make dessert the day before. I chose a Chocolate Madeleines recipe on Martha Stewart's website. It calls for lightly browned butter. They are delicious; the guests enjoyed them. I am glad you posted the link, BakerAunt. I may experiment with brown butter now that I've read it. I'm currently subbing light olive oil for some of the butter in most of my baking. But I still think I'll have opportunities to brown butter.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

Thanks BA! I always like reading PJ Hamel.

In things that are very simple without a lot of ingredients, brown butter is supposed to make a big difference. It was definitely noticeable in my shortbread. I might try it in biscuits or scones and maybe pie crust.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Just read PJ's blog and it was VERY useful. I will definitely let my butter go a little longer next time.

And apparently it will work in pie crusts. I'd wondered if laminated doughs would be okay.

And brown the butter reduces the water in it which probably explains why my shortbread dough was crumbly.

I wonder if I could short cut this by melting my butter first in the microwave and then putting it over heat.

Thanks again!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Isn't one aspect of laminated dough having the water that makes up 15-20% of butter evaporate to produce steam in between layers? There's little or no water in browned butter, just like there's little or no water in clarified butter or ghee.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

True! That's why it will work in biscuits and pancakes and such - because they have chemical leaveners.

Pie crust doesn't need to rise.

But it probably wouldn't work in puff pastry and choux.

Thanks

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Since the butter is melted for choux paste, any water suspended with the fat is released. I've always assumed that for both choux paste and popovers the egg forms a structure that the evaporating water pushes out. I've made choux paste with gluten-free flours so I know a gluten matrix isn't playing much of a role.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.